John Deere 430 baler HP requirement ??

/ John Deere 430 baler HP requirement ?? #11  
Should be able to tow it on the road...assuming bearings are packed and tires are good.
Not familiar with JD bailers at all, only NH and Kubota but my dealer hauled my new Kubota round bailer and my M9 hooked to it on his Jerr-Dan rollback no issue. I would imagine it was a bit over 13'6" but no bridges between me and his dealership. The Kubota bailer is exactly 8'4" wide at it's widest point (side covers).

One thing the OP needs to keep in mind is that he may have the cajonies to run the bailer with no problem but if he bales on hilly ground, the weight of the tractor when the baler is full, comes into play. If the tractor is too light, the bailer will 'drive' the tractor instead of the other way around. That can make for a tight butthole situation.

I'm always 'roading' my hay tools constantly as my fields aren't contiguous to the farm. Rule of thumb is no faster than 30 mph on ag tires.

/ John Deere 430 baler HP requirement ?? #12  
Anyone know how much PTO HP is required to Operate a JD 430 ? I found this baler fairly close from home and decent price so I am wondering if my tractor with 46hp on the PTO could operate it?
I remember delivering a new JD 430 baler that purchaser owned a JD 2440(60 pto hp). When Coastal Bermuda bale was close to 5-1/2 ft in diameter tractor required downshifting due to engine loosing rpm's

Last edited:
   / John Deere 430 baler HP requirement ?? #13  
Kind of reminds me of running my old gone 548 NH round bailer (twine only) with my also long gone 5030 Kubota (my signature line here). When I approached a full bale condition I found myself advancing the throttle to the stop to hold 540 rpm and that was in wheat straw. Was even worse with dry hay.

Needless to say the tractor and baler is long gone.

My philosophy simply is... When round bailing, especially maximum diameter rounds and high density, there is no substitute for pto power. If you don't have enough, you'll regret it constantly but having enough, you won't pay any attention to it.

/ John Deere 430 baler HP requirement ?? #14  
I just purchased a 435 to run behind my 55 HP tractor. Although I’m sure my tractor would run it, I’m nervous about what will happen when I get a full bale and I’m on a hill. My hay partner has a 70 hp kubota so we are going to start baling with it and then try my tractor on flat ground.

While your tractor would probably handle it, be careful on hills and with a full bale. The more weight you have on your tractor, the better.