John Deere 430 baler HP requirement ??

/ John Deere 430 baler HP requirement ?? #1  

Rockbadchild

Veteran Member
Tractor
2076E Massey Ferguson
Anyone know how much PTO HP is required to Operate a JD 430 ? I found this baler fairly close from home and decent price so I am wondering if my tractor with 46hp on the PTO could operate it?

/ John Deere 430 baler HP requirement ?? #2  
I found a tech spec web site for the 430 and 530 balers. 430 - 50 tractor hp. 530 - 70 tractor hp.

/ John Deere 430 baler HP requirement ??
I found a tech spec web site for the 430 and 530 balers. 430 - 50 tractor hp. 530 - 70 tractor hp.
thanks, I tried but couldn't find it .... by tractor HP they mean PTO horsepower ? ... with Dry hay and on flat ground I should be fine with 46hp ?

yeah just found it it just say ''tractor recommended ..... 50hp'' it sound like brute HP to me ... I have 60hp so I should be fine

/ John Deere 430 baler HP requirement ?? #5  
Yes - as I read it - it's brute tractor hp. Not PTO hp. You should be OK.

/ John Deere 430 baler HP requirement ?? #6  
So I have a round baler project I've been working on this season, after doing that I would never buy a used one without seeing it operate and seeing it bale several bales. They are stupid simple to work on but take an eternity to get apart and put back together. Three or four bearings that need replaced could be a weeks long project for one guy. It's not like a square baler where everything short of removing the punger or replacing a gear box is basically a 30 min job. And if it's nearby a bonus would be trying to run it with your tractor. Good luck.

So I have a round baler project I've been working on this season, after doing that I would never buy a used one without seeing it operate and seeing it bale several bales. They are stupid simple to work on but take an eternity to get apart and put back together. Three or four bearings that need replaced could be a weeks long project for one guy. It's not like a square baler where everything short of removing the punger or replacing a gear box is basically a 30 min job. And if it's nearby a bonus would be trying to run it with your tractor. Good luck.
yes I have seen your project it look like a hand full, thanks for the tip.

also how would you transport a baler ? ... my car hauler with side is 86'' wide and most baler are like 90'' + wide...

/ John Deere 430 baler HP requirement ?? #9  
also how would you transport a baler ? ... my car hauler with side is 86'' wide and most baler are like 90'' + wide...
Should be able to tow it on the road...assuming bearings are packed and tires are good.

Should be able to tow it on the road...assuming bearings are packed and tires are good.
ya everything is at least 300 miles away ... I thought of hauling companies but most are using flat deck so I would need to bring the baler to their yard and same problem once it get home to get in unloaded its a headache.