John Deere 410B hydraulic issues

/ John Deere 410B hydraulic issues #1  

Ben B

Tractor
Mahindra 3016 hst
I'm really struggling with this issue. I'm by no means a hydraulic expert at all and am struggling to diagnose what the issue is. I don't want to throw parts at it but just don't know where to start. I have a very well used 410b that I believe the hydraulic pump is cavitating. When idling the pump is making a constant loping noise. When I run any of the functions(loader/backhoe) the noise.goes away while operating that function. The oil in the transmission also gets full of small bubbles. Here is what I've done so far. I'm checked the pump screen, replaced the suction hose from the trans sump to the pipe that feeds the charge pump and I've changed the filter and the oil twice. I feel like it's some sort of faulty relief valve when the tractor is just idling but I may be way off track I don't have much experience with hydraulics on heavy equipment. The power to the hoe and loader still seems adequate. I can lift the tractor up with the loader or the backhoe so I feel like it's not a pump problem. Any advice on how to proceed would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

/ John Deere 410B hydraulic issues #2  
My 410 can be described as a drippy old unit. When I first bought it I didn't monitor the oil level in the transmission close enough and once it dropped to a certain point, the system started to make some odd noises. The machine dug fine, but one of the valves next to the transmission would make a chattering noise.

The 410 and 410B are different machines, my 410 has a charge pump in the transmission, I think the B has a charge pump on the back of the main pump, but they both appear to draw off the transmission sump for their supply.

If you haven't verified your oil level yet, I'd start there.

I have searched high and low and I can't find an answer on the proper way to measure the transmission oil level in these machines. I set my level when the machine is running and since doing that, I haven't had any issues with air bubbles in the oil or noisy valves.

Jason