John Deere 2640 - Starter Relay Location?

/ John Deere 2640 - Starter Relay Location?
I've witnessed battery cables that appeared good but had corrosion under insulation. This corrosion limited good amperage conductivity. I suggest to check volts when attempting to start engine
Will do -- would voltage drop always occur with corroded batt cable(s) or could it be necessary sometimes to detect this by measuring current? The corrosion under insulation had not occurred to me, either. Good to know.

/ John Deere 2640 - Starter Relay Location? #12  
Thanks -- I don't get any activity though prior to starting attempt either. So glow plugs light never comes on, nor any other panel lights. Yet battery voltage is 13+ (good idea though to monitor voltage the whole time -- I'll give that a try).
JD 2640 engine has ""no glow plugs""

/ John Deere 2640 - Starter Relay Location? #13  
I do know my 2640 has a solenoid mounted on the starter motor (just above it) -- was going to bypass it except the + side had a shield which required partial dismantling to access.
JD began installing plastic shields on starter solenoids to make it more difficult for operators to short across from "S" terminal to top post on solenoid. This was done to help stop people from getting injured while attempting to start engine by jumping across starter solenoid posts.

/ John Deere 2640 - Starter Relay Location? #14  
JD began installing plastic shields on starter solenoids to make it more difficult for operators to short across from "S" terminal to top post on solenoid. This was done to help stop people from getting injured while attempting to start engine by jumping across starter solenoid posts.
JD mailed me a field install solenoid shield kit for my 2030. I guessing since I had work done at a JD dealer, my name was connected to that tractor. I bought it used.

/ John Deere 2640 - Starter Relay Location? #15  
On my 1840 I experienced frequent issues as you described and I took the starter to an auto electric shop for service and they cleaned it, lubed it, new bushings and a new starter solenoid to the tune of $150 and I have never had any issues since.