John deere 2305

/ John deere 2305 #11  
When a fuse blows, you're left wondering why. I have had the injector pump solenoid fuse on the 4600 blow just out of the blue, and it hasn't happened again since then. Seems like it's "just one of those things" that happens now and then. Maybe some exposed insulation somewhere that shorts under certain conditions.

/ John deere 2305
I looked all over and couldn't find any bad wires so I thought it was just a fluke and the fuse burnt. However it happened two more times and this last time I replaced the fuse but it still won't run. It fires but then quits. I checked the starter solenoid and the pin retracts while you are cranking it over but does not retain power to keep the pin back so that the tractor will get the fuel to run. It seems as though it is not getting power in the run mode.

/ John deere 2305
Glad you found the fuse, I would be looking at any thing that moves and wires next to it as the culprit. Or might have been a fluke and not happen again. Good. Luck

I looked all over and couldn't find any bad wires so I thought it was just a fluke and the fuse burnt. However it happened two more times and this last time I replaced the fuse but it still won't run. It fires but then quits. I checked the starter solenoid and the pin retracts while you are cranking it over but does not retain power to keep the pin back so that the tractor will get the fuel to run. It seems as though it is not getting power in the run mode.

/ John deere 2305
The fuel rail in the injector pump is spring loaded.When you turn the switch to start voltage is supplied to the injector solenoid which retracts the solenoid plunger. The unit starts and you release the key. A device called the controller then supplies voltage to the solenoid to continue holding it open so the unit will continue running.

You can remove the solenoid from the injector pump, start the unit and it will continue running, but you cannot shut the engine off. Turn the key to off does nothing. You will have to choke the air off to stop the unit or take a short 3/8 inch drive extension and gently and slowly insert it into the hole you removed the solenoid from until you push the spring loaded rail in and stop the fuel supply and stop the engine. Your problem Is either the injector pump relay or controller not switching the voltage from start to run to keep the solenoid retracted.
Do you know which one is the solenoid relay or where I can find the controller and can I test them to see if they are working?

/ John deere 2305
I was using my tractor and it just quitrunning. It will start but as soon as you let off the ignition switch it stalls. As long as you keep the key in the start position it will stay running, until you let it back to the run position, and then it stalls again. Any idea as to what happened would be greatly appreciated.
After testing everything and checking the wires the diode started smoking when I turned the key on. Turned out to be the fuel shut off solenoid was bad. I replaced that and so far it is working fine. Once again I would like to thank everyone for their help and input. It all helped me to figure out what the problem was.