JIC with o-ring

/ JIC with o-ring #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Was working on a friend's 331 mini excavator and ran across a few fittings that have an o-ring on the sealing part of the JIC male fitting.

This is a first for me. Just goes to show I don't know everything and still learning myself.

Anyone else run across these?

/ JIC with o-ring #2  
Maybe it ain't supposed to ne there. I've seen o rings where they don't belong. Came to the shop with leaks. O rings were the problem.

/ JIC with o-ring #3  
Yes these were introduced back in late 90’s early 2000 and if remember correctly were called flare-O. I believe O-ring face seal were introduced shortly after that and the flare-O concept died.

/ JIC with o-ring #4  
Yes these were introduced back in late 90’s early 2000 and if remember correctly were called flare-O. I believe O-ring face seal were introduced shortly after that and the flare-O concept died.

That sounds great.

/ JIC with o-ring
Well it was on a 2002 bobcat 331. Was rebuilding the rotarty joint. Only a few fittings had them, no rhyme or reason as to which ones.

I have learned what a PITA it is to do a rotary joint. I have the exact same machine with a slightly longer arm (the 334). I hope I never have to do my joint because its one of the more challenging jobs I have ever had to do hydraulics on

/ JIC with o-ring
Maybe it ain't supposed to ne there. I've seen o rings where they don't belong. Came to the shop with leaks. O rings were the problem.
Nope. They are definitely supposed to be there.

/ JIC with o-ring
o-ring.jpg

/ JIC with o-ring #8  
I've put O-rings on JIC fittings at the bottom of the threads, by the hex, and used them as SAE/ORB fittings. Just have to make sure the flare does not bottom in what you are installing them in.
I had not seen the JIC "O-ring Flare" fittings, thanks for posting.

/ JIC with o-ring #9  
I'm 99% sure I have a JIC fitting like that laying around from an older plastic molding injection machine. Some metric fittings are also like that. They seal great without require crazy amount of torque on the nut.

1651238531314.png

/ JIC with o-ring #10  
I performed a google search for flare-o fittings and they are still available. Brennan industries was one source.

yes swivels can be a challenge to repair - rebuild. Seems like first piece put in the frame and then rest of the machine is assembled around it.