3-Point Hitch JD650 3pt hitch no control over arms. Help!

/ JD650 3pt hitch no control over arms. Help! #1  

BCinMI650

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 650
Hello! I need some help....

I’ve got John Deere 650 that I purchased and have been bringing back to life to help maintain a new property I just bought. For the lift of me I cannot get the 3pt/rockshaft/position control lever to act right. I can either go all the way down or all the way up (very quickly I might add), there is no inbetween. It’s like I don’t have any control over the arms. I’ve replaced the spring washers on the position control lever and reset the tension, drained the hydraulics, had the valve off and cleaned it out, adjusted the rate of drop screw and the drop valve, tweaked the feedback arm and still nothing. Im just out of ideas and mowing season will be here before I know it. I noticed that when I have the position control lever down, the arm is completely off the piston in the control valve. Is that normal? Anyone out there have any ideas? Or could anyone send me a video/photos of one operations correctly. I’d hate to have to haul this thing into a repair shop.

Thanks!
BC

/ JD650 3pt hitch no control over arms. Help! #2  
I have a 1985 650 that I bought a couple of years back to use at our camp. The 3 point linkage does go up and down much faster than my other tractor, but does allow for stopping in between full up or full down. The tractor is 400 miles away in winter storage or I would take some pictures for you. Sorry that I can’t be more helpful. Frank

/ JD650 3pt hitch no control over arms. Help! #3  
your feedback linkage is froze up. When all those pivot points are freed you'll be able to stop the 3 pt arms anywhere you want. Put the P-oil to them and wiggle them loose. That control arm should always be in contact with the control valve.

/ JD650 3pt hitch no control over arms. Help!
Farmeratheart, thanks for the reference point. What implements (type and size) do you use with your 650? I'm also tryin to gauge what the tractor is capable of without finding out the hard way after I buy. so far i have the 60in mid mount mower for it, a 44in box blade (Traded for the cab that came with the tractor), a JD365 hydraulic plow w/ wing extensions (came with the tractor), a boom pole (a gift, but of no use with the 3pt in its current state), and I just picked up a bushhog 1846QT FEL that I am trying to get cleaned up and serviced before the spring. I'm curious as to what size brush hog, tiller, plow, etc folks are using on them.

Oldtink, You are correct. On another forum, I had user advise me that the arm that is connect to the spring at the top and the position control arm shaft on the bottom should pivot freely on that shaft. It was not doing that, it had been painted/rusted/jammed on so it moved in unison with the shaft, so I either had pressure on the hydraulics or I didn't, no inbetween. Took the assembly off yesterday, soaked it with some WD40, took a torch and a B.F.H to it and freed it up. going to take the time to clean it up and get it repainted and properly lubricated before reassembling. Hoping that corrects it. I'll keep you posted! thanks for the advice!

/ JD650 3pt hitch no control over arms. Help! #5  
I have the 650 primarily to move boats around our storage barn. I do have a Woods 50” RFM that we do some cleanup around the property with. Is yours 4WD?

Ya its the 4wd model with the turf tires. I'm looking for an extra set of rims to mount some loaded ag tires onto for when times when the added traction is needed.

/ JD650 3pt hitch no control over arms. Help! #7  
Mine is the 2WD model- also with turfs. I had the 60” mmm but it actually got in the way when maneuvering boats around. I sold it to a guy from PA who had a 650 that he wanted to use for trail maintenance at a hunting property. Lots of these older tractors around and still in use. I won’t be near mine until May unless the ice at the lake goes out really early this year.

Frank

They are good tractors from what I hear. It was too small for what the previous owner was trying to use it for (he inherited it from his father) and had what I needed to get through the winter at the right price. I’m excited to get it all working right and put it to work this spring. I may end up with something bigger one day, but I don’t think I’ll lose money on the package.

Just to follow up. All fixed! And cleaned up nicely. Thanks for all the help everyone.