Comparison JD5085M versus 5085E

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #21  
Are you sure about where these are made? I am pretty sure that the E series is made in India and the M series is made in Germany or the US.

The 85e, 100e and M are made in US.

Last edited:
   / JD5085M versus 5085E #22  
Are you sure about where these are made? I am pretty sure that the E series is made in India and the M series is made in Germany or the US.
I have a feeling he's referring to where the axles are made, not where the tractors are assembled.
The 5085 M has Larger Rear axle housing and larger components made to handle heavier duty applications. Both are made in China but the 5M has a USA made Transmission
I looked at an M on the dealer's lot last week and the tag definitely said Made In China (on the axle).

Unfortunately as with many products we seem to be being offered more "assembled" in USA and less "made" in USA. Countries like India never liked to allow foreign manufacturers to come in and just have their Indian workers assembling components made elsewhere; they referred to it as "screwdriver technology". So now we've become the assemblers here in our Southern US plants and the Chinese and Indians are doing the real manufacturing.

As far as the original question, if you need some of the features available on the M such as radials, 32 speeds, creeper trans, rack and pinion cast wheels, special tire/wheel sizes, ehitch, etc, etc, then that's what you need and the E won't cut it.

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #23  
B to C is synced, C back to B is not (from the manual and experience).
You simply have to ask yourself what differences are worth to you. The draft control on the E is mediocre at best. A lot is left on the tractor as far as power because of the lack of tire options on the E. Hydraulics and 3-point control are pretty basic on the E. The E is a SOLID platform, but as stated above old technologies with a fresh engine. Really for Rec use/basic farming the E is great. If you need to make money and operational cost is important, go with the M.

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #24  
Old thread but this is a follow up to the question of the 5085e range shifting while moving. I just bought a 2016 5085e and the manual does not read like the one posted by calhoun. My manual clearly states that you must stop the tractor to shift ranges. The 5M series of tractors does have syncronized range shifting.

This is straight from my owners manual. Maybe the changed something's for 14. Have no idea, I know the tractor will go 23 mph because I've done it. Shifting from B to C will work but it's not real smooth, I work on cars for a living and would say it not full synchro shift, but it will work while moving.