Comparison JD5085M versus 5085E

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #1  

JWR

Elite Member
Tractor
MF 2660 LP, 3 Kubota B2150, Kubota BX2200, MH Pacer, Gravely 5660, etc.
There have been several threads (last year) with titles that sounded like paydirt but inside were only fluff and generalities. More comfortable seats, luxury vs plain, etc. Also ALL were into cab models rather than platform models. I am interested only in the non-cab models.
1) Can someone give a short list of the primary differences between the 5085E and 5085M ? I'm talking substantial features, standard vs optional items, etc. None of this is obvious from studying spec sheets.
2) And how much is the typical price difference ? Are we talking $2K ? $5K ? $10K ?

/ JD5085M versus 5085E
Answered my own question -- The 1085E ia bout $10,000 cheaper than the 1085M. The M is 550 lbs heavier, quite a few more options and features if you have a cab, uses lower link draft sensing, offers on model larger front end loader, optional higher lift capacity 3pt hitch, a 16x16 transmission instead of 12x12, and 18.4gpm hydraulic main pump vs 15.9 for the E model. Seemingly more of everything. I have NOT seen two side by side -- an E and an M to compare other things. But I can't see $10K (amounting to 20% of list price) difference in the E and M. A platform model 5085 with normally "good features" in the M version is about $53K list while the E model is $43K list , neither one with a loader.
All this can be gleaned from the spec sheets on their web site if you persist enough. You cannot get front end loader prices without entering zip code and being traceable by a nearby dealer.

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #3  
A 553 loader cost me $6700 two years ago. I'd at least get a canopy for the ROPS. They run three to four hundred. They keep the sun off you and the rain off the seat.

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #4  
Went through the same questions on a 5065E vs 5065M. Wound up with a 5303 which is equivalent of the 5065E. For my 100-150 hour annual use for property maintenance/upkeep, gardening and planting wildlife plots I could not justify the extra $10,000 at this point in time, maybe not ever. Have been very pleased with my choice so far.

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #5  
Ok Let's be real the 5085 M is so vastly different from a 5085 E that I don't know where to start. But I will try.

The 5085 M is 2013 Technology the 5085E is a 5420 or 1998 Technology( I am not saying which is better Just they are different, I prefer to move forward)

The 5085 M is a mid frame tractor, the 5085 E uses the engine and tranny as a frame. So the M has much higher torsional strength in loader and twisting applications on uneven ground. The mid frame is also helpful when splitting the tractor and other maintenance.

The 5085 M has Larger Rear axle housing and larger components made to handle heavier duty applications. Both are made in China but the 5M has a USA made Transmission

The 5M has synchronized ranges the 508E does not. That is a huge help in transport and it shows how much better the new Transmission is over the old. Syncro ranges is huge.

The 5085 M has EH 3 point hitch controls which is a huge benefit for precise and comfortable work. It also allows a very quick raise and lower for working with tillers and mowers. I find I cannot live without EH 3PTH, I did for many years with my Kubotas. Frack that

The 5M series has Radial tires as a choice, so much better for wear and field apps and ride if you transport your tractor much.

The 5M series has 20% higher implement flow which will help that loader cycle much faster.
The 5M Deluxe platform is truly flat and suspended so it is much more comfortable than the 5085E.
The 5085M has the PVX engine 4 valve per cylinder and the same as used in the 6M while the 5085E has the Powertech E engine. 2 valve fixed turbo, you get the idea. 2005 vs 2013 again.

The 5M has 25mph transports speeds available the 5085E goes 17mph, huge for transport from job to job or field to field.

The 5085 M has remote 3pt hitch controls for easier implement hookups, and a better sway control system than the 5085E

These are real substantial differences and well worth the extra cost if, speed and comfort are important. Oh the 5085E is a great tractor and it is very good looking. It can do everything a 5M can do and alot cheaper, but never kid yourself the 5085 M has the strength features and ability of a much better tractor at a good price.

As for the guy who was talking 5065E You are looking at a 5003 tractor in essence and it is a great tractor but it is Old Tech, no comparison whatsoever to a 5065M or the 5085E

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #6  
One other thing

The 5420 had alot of problems with broken park pawl if the tractor was used in logging or other heavy winching ops. John Deere addressed the issue in the 5425 but I do not know if the 5085E uses the old Park pawl, that should be checked into if you intend to run a logging winch, or you can do like we all did and just always put the blade against a stump,..... fracking handy.

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #7  
Ok Let's be real the 5085 M is so vastly different from a 5085 E that I don't know where to start. But I will try.

The 5085 M is 2013 Technology the 5085E is a 5420 or 1998 Technology( I am not saying which is better Just they are different, I prefer to move forward)

The 5085 M is a mid frame tractor, the 5085 E uses the engine and tranny as a frame. So the M has much higher torsional strength in loader and twisting applications on uneven ground. The mid frame is also helpful when splitting the tractor and other maintenance.

The 5085 M has Larger Rear axle housing and larger components made to handle heavier duty applications. Both are made in China but the 5M has a USA made Transmission

The 5M has synchronized ranges the 508E does not. That is a huge help in transport and it shows how much better the new Transmission is over the old. Syncro ranges is huge.

The 5085 M has EH 3 point hitch controls which is a huge benefit for precise and comfortable work. It also allows a very quick raise and lower for working with tillers and mowers. I find I cannot live without EH 3PTH, I did for many years with my Kubotas. Frack that

The 5M series has Radial tires as a choice, so much better for wear and field apps and ride if you transport your tractor much.

The 5M series has 20% higher implement flow which will help that loader cycle much faster.
The 5M Deluxe platform is truly flat and suspended so it is much more comfortable than the 5085E.
The 5085M has the PVX engine 4 valve per cylinder and the same as used in the 6M while the 5085E has the Powertech E engine. 2 valve fixed turbo, you get the idea. 2005 vs 2013 again.

The 5M has 25mph transports speeds available the 5085E goes 17mph, huge for transport from job to job or field to field.

The 5085 M has remote 3pt hitch controls for easier implement hookups, and a better sway control system than the 5085E

These are real substantial differences and well worth the extra cost if, speed and comfort are important. Oh the 5085E is a great tractor and it is very good looking. It can do everything a 5M can do and alot cheaper, but never kid yourself the 5085 M has the strength features and ability of a much better tractor at a good price.

As for the guy who was talking 5065E You are looking at a 5003 tractor in essence and it is a great tractor but it is Old Tech, no comparison whatsoever to a 5065M or the 5085E
I have a 2014 JD 5085e, You are correct on most of your points except you can shift range b to c while moving and the transport speed is just under 24mph. Also with tier 4 emission the new E series motor is a 4 valve per cylinder motor, the motors from what I've seen are almost identical between the e and m.

Last edited:
   / JD5085M versus 5085E
JD2K -- Wealth of good information about the difference between the E and M models. I think that level of information does a great service to potential buyers. Some dealers (a few) have that knowledge and could inform customers. I wager half the dealers' sales staffs do not know those things, much less inform the buyers with it. So long as the buyer knows these things they can make an informed reasonable decision -- knowing what they are paying more for or what they are choosing not to pay for. Without it they are just puzzled as I was.

Great response. Thanks !

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #9  
I have a 2014 JD 5085e, You are correct on most of your points except you can shift range b to c while moving and the transport speed is just under 24mph. Also with tier 4 emission the new E series motor is a 4 valve per cylinder motor, the motors from what I've seen are almost identical between the e and m.

Nice catch on the engine spec Calhoun, Indeed the Engines are the same. And that is very good to learn. But as for synchro B to C that is a fiction. The JD site clearly states the range shifts are not synchronized. Now if you can make the shift, wonderful for you, but it is not part of the tranny design so good luck with that.

Transport speed according to Nebraska tests is 20.96, which is better than the 17 I said but a far cry from 24. I drive my 6230 that far all the time and a few mph makes a huge diff.

Btw I am not at all down on the 5085 E. I think it is the best looking tractor Deere has. Especially the oos. It is very capable and priced like a 70 HP Kubota. I think it is a great product. If I needed an 85hp oos I will get one.

If anyone cares I was pricing a 5085M a while back but I decided to get a 6105R to replace my 6230. I wanted the 31mph trans and the closed center hydraulics. I am told Sept 17

/ JD5085M versus 5085E #10  
You can also get the 32f/16r with electronic hi/lo on the M, a great feature they should put on every tractor. If it had come on the E I might have gone that way but went with the LS instead.