JD4520 Steering trouble when bucket is full.

/ JD4520 Steering trouble when bucket is full. #11  
What has been the hyd oil and filter (also screen) maintenance?

If okay there, maybe the power steering control valve.

Some oil pressure checks may be in order to track this down.

Might be in the hyd. steering cylinder.

/ JD4520 Steering trouble when bucket is full.
What has been the hyd oil and filter (also screen) maintenance?

If okay there, maybe the power steering control valve.

Some oil pressure checks may be in order to track this down.

Might be in the hyd. steering cylinder.
The oil and filter were changed 300 hours ago...so I will be doing that. But the "right" vs "left" has me baffled... Dealer wants over $1800 for new steering control unit. So Im hoping it wont be that...

/ JD4520 Steering trouble when bucket is full. #13  
This is the compact utility 4520, and has this filter strainer..

Think given the right vs left difference, I'd want to know what the oil pressure is at that steering cylinder. Not overly expensive to check that out, but time consuming.

Attachments

• 4520_oil_strainer.jpg
    4520_oil_strainer.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 76
Update: I stopped in the JD dealer and talked with the guys at the service desk. They said it is not likely it is the Trans filter if the rest of the hydraulic system is operating correctly as it is all the same system.

They said the two most likely culprits are:

1) The Steering Control Unit is bad or plugged etc.
2) Possibly the Steering Cylinder is bad.

They advised an easy way to check on the steering cyl is to extend or retract the cylinder (Wheels off the ground) and remove the corresponding line to check and see if there is any oil bypassing the internal seals. If so that may be the cause. (after thinking about this - while I wish this was the cause - I would think if the internal cyl seals were bad, that it would be evident when turning both directions not just to the right?)

It would be great to put a gauge on both lines to the steering cyl lines too. I wonder what amount of pressure ga I would have to buy?

Thanks, I was pretty sure that would do it, just ordered one. It is a good idea to check that steering cylinder and the pressure to it before making the big decision to have a JD dealer replace the Steering Control Unit. That $1800 cost is a big dent in my wallet....

I got my gauge today. I hope to test those lines to the steering cyl soon. Might be a week or so though. Ill post the results here after testing.

/ JD4520 Steering trouble when bucket is full. #18  
There is a filter on the pressure side of the power steering system. It is in your manual. It’s right along the frame on the left side. When that is plugged, it will cause this issue.

Last edited:
   / JD4520 Steering trouble when bucket is full. #19  
Put some more air in the steered tires. If they are Turf (R3) switch to R4's (loader tires with stiff sidewalls). You should expect a difference in assist force in one direction because the boost cylinder has a rod in it and thus cuts down the area that the hydraulic pressure acts on. If your front tires are in a wide track position, turn them around to narrow your front track (watch for rotation direction arrows that might be on the sidewall).
This!!
First thing to check is the front tires' air pressure. And, you probably find that with loader use, the air pressure should be increased (that might be in your tractor's manual...or your loader manual

/ JD4520 Steering trouble when bucket is full. #20  
I have a 4320 Cab /2006 and the power steering filter is on the left side of the tractor under the cab floor. It about 3 to 4 inches long, hex shaped and it takes a couple of large wrenches to remove. Remove it from the tractor and then you need to disassemble the filter to remove the mess screen and clean it. Mine will only go on one way due to the connectors. After you clean yours just make sure you have it going the correct direction/ in/ out/ etc. Later.