JD4520 Steering trouble when bucket is full.

/ JD4520 Steering trouble when bucket is full. #1  

charosenz

Silver Member
Tractor
2007 JD4520, also (sold) 2008 JD 3203 with 300cx loader
I have a 2007 JD 4520. I have started to notice that I have difficulty steering to the right when the bucket is full of heavy dirt. I turn the wheel to the right but the tires do not turn to the right like they should. They barely turn (angle) to the right. It seems worse when I am going downhill. I have noticed it gets better when I increase RPM above 2600 but of course I know something is not right. Esp since it turns to the left just fine. The transmission is properly filled with Low Vis HyGard. The bucket lifts smoothly and so does the 3 point....

Any idea what is happening?

CR

/ JD4520 Steering trouble when bucket is full. #2  
So the steering is normal without a heavy load in the bucket?

If so then the difference is the load in the bucket... too heavy and/or unbalanced.

How much counterbalance weight is on the 3PL?

Last edited:
   / JD4520 Steering trouble when bucket is full. #3  
I'm sure you've checked, but have to ask . . .

You said the transmission is full. Did you check the power steering reservoir? It's a separate system. Did you check your fan belt to be sure it's in good shape and tight since it turns your power steering pump??

/ JD4520 Steering trouble when bucket is full.
So the steering is normal without a heavy load in the bucket?

If so then the difference is the load in the bucket... too heavy and/or unbalanced.

How much counterbalance weight is on the 3PL?
I appreciate your comments. I have a 7ft wide box blade. I believe it is about 760lbs. In regards to it being too much weight.l...I have to note that the odd issue only started recently, so I wonder if it is really too much weight and esp since it does not happen while turning left - only turning to the right....

I'm sure you've checked, but have to ask . . .

You said the transmission is full. Did you check the power steering reservoir? It's a separate system. Did you check your fan belt to be sure it's in good shape and tight since it turns your power steering pump??
No. I read the manual and there is no mention of a separate power steering system reservoir. But I sure will look for one!!!! I should have thought of that!!! Also I do not note any belt noise but I sure will check it.

/ JD4520 Steering trouble when bucket is full. #6  
No. I read the manual and there is no mention of a separate power steering system reservoir. But I sure will look for one!!!! I should have thought of that!!! Also I do not note any belt noise but I sure will check it.

I could be wrong, and if so, someone on here will let us know pretty quick. But I think it's got a separate power steering pump and reservoir. That may not be the problem, but it's interesting that you can turn left but not right.

It may be that you've just got too much weight on the tires, but that should make your steering difficult, not inoperative.

Good luck with it.

/ JD4520 Steering trouble when bucket is full. #7  
I looked at the parts diagram and I don't see a separate power steering pump either . . .

Will be interesting to hear from some of the experts.

A quick look under the hood will, of course, confirm that you do or don't have a power steering pump.

/ JD4520 Steering trouble when bucket is full. #8  
Put some more air in the steered tires. If they are Turf (R3) switch to R4's (loader tires with stiff sidewalls). You should expect a difference in assist force in one direction because the boost cylinder has a rod in it and thus cuts down the area that the hydraulic pressure acts on. If your front tires are in a wide track position, turn them around to narrow your front track (watch for rotation direction arrows that might be on the sidewall).

I looked at the parts diagram and I don't see a separate power steering pump either . . .

Will be interesting to hear from some of the experts.

A quick look under the hood will, of course, confirm that you do or don't have a power steering pump.
Ill be looking first thing in the AM....

Well I looked under the hood this morning. There is no steering pump on the fan belt. Only the Alternator and the Water pump. I traced the steering cylinder hoses back to where they disappear in behind the engine j- basically behind where the circuit breaker panel is. There must be some sort of control valve back there that somehow connects to the steering wheel shaft/linkage? I am guessing it is somehow integrated with the hydraulic/transmission oil??? But it must be a real pain to get to it. ugh! I can only suspect that somehow the hose that pressurizes the line that causes the steering cylinder to move the wheels to the right must be restricted.....