JD447 Baler?

/ JD447 Baler? #11  
I just reread your post and saw 15 acres to hay. Not sure on what your ground yields now for hay, but that could be baled in a few hours easy with 4x4 baler, no ramps and twine. I would assume you'd break it up though.

I see 2850M listed for tractor, that will just be on the low end of size and power for a 4x4 baler, still go 3-4 MPH with it.

/ JD447 Baler?
I just reread your post and saw 15 acres to hay. Not sure on what your ground yields now for hay, but that could be baled in a few hours easy with 4x4 baler, no ramps and twine. I would assume you'd break it up though.

I see 2850M listed for tractor, that will just be on the low end of size and power for a 4x4 baler, still go 3-4 MPH with it.
Yeah I realize I'm a bit light on HP but the budget is what it is (was!) I may go up to 20 acres here, I need the rest for other stuff plus 30 are wooded but I'd like to find some land locally to rent/lease to hay .... one day! Thanks for the info.

/ JD447 Baler?
Looks like I’ve missed this baler. Salesman is still in negotiations with a customer wanting to trade. I got the impression the salesman would have welcomed a straight sale with me but is rightfully honouring the trade deal.
There’s a very tidy New Holland BR7050 (4x5) over by the mountains which I believe I can just roll 4x4s on? But it states min HP 50 and my pto HP is around 40. If I was just doing 4x4s, would I get away with being so underpowered? I don’t want to tear my new tractor up but can I just drive slower and only roll to 4’??

/ JD447 Baler? #14  
Looks like I’ve missed this baler. Salesman is still in negotiations with a customer wanting to trade. I got the impression the salesman would have welcomed a straight sale with me but is rightfully honouring the trade deal.
There’s a very tidy New Holland BR7050 (4x5) over by the mountains which I believe I can just roll 4x4s on? But it states min HP 50 and my pto HP is around 40. If I was just doing 4x4s, would I get away with being so underpowered? I don’t want to tear my new tractor up but can I just drive slower and only roll to 4’??

If on flat ground only, I think it’s possible.

Too bad we aren’t “in season” so you could take it from dealer and try it for a day.

I’d be looking for an old reliable 2WD tractor with about 75-80HP to pull it. Who cares what it looks like, just something to attach the baler to. You can get a tractor like that for 5-10 grand.

/ JD447 Baler? #15  
I wonder if the recommendations for hp are more for safety/brakes and weight so the tail doesn't wag the puppy. I've seen people use smaller than recommended tractors. Usually within a year or so they get replaced with something larger.

/ JD447 Baler?
I wonder if the recommendations for hp are more for safety/brakes and weight so the tail doesn't wag the puppy. I've seen people use smaller than recommended tractors. Usually within a year or so they get replaced with something larger.
That had crossed my mind too, especially after seeing a YouTube guy ( tractor time with Tim?) using a round baler behind a sub compact!

/ JD447 Baler? #17  
That had crossed my mind too, especially after seeing a YouTube guy ( tractor time with Tim?) using a round baler behind a sub compact!
I baled (with a small NH square baler) about 2 miles of wheat straw swath with my 4410 for the fun of it. The tail wagged the puppy and I don't think the pto would handle the intermittent strain long term. But it was fun and the cruise control/hydrostatic transmission worked awesome to keep the baler at capacity.

/ JD447 Baler? #18  

BR7050 is 4x4 baler and part of the 630/634/638 lineage. When the 630 came out it needed 35 PTO HP...as the baler got newer the power requirement upped for user experience.

I run a 630, the oldest model in that line, I used to run it with 42 PTO HP utility, full baler heading uphill 4.5 MPH I had to downshift to keep rpm up.

Example: