JD310SG cab door effort

/ JD310SG cab door effort #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
I wonder if there is some way to reduce the effort required to close the door on my 310SG. I replaced the door cylinder a few years ago and it just takes too much effort to pull it shut.

/ JD310SG cab door effort #2  
Is there a leverage situation that you could alter with the mounting?
I guess that you replaced the original with a JD part. I've wondered in similar situations if someone sold this type of "strut" that listed the stroke AND effort was along with the mounting requirements.

/ JD310SG cab door effort #3  
Did you use an OEM gas spring or aftermarket? I changed the cylinders on my suburban back glass with aftermarket and it’s too hard to close now.

/ JD310SG cab door effort
I think the whole tractor is still OEM. There might be some aftermarket stuff made for the JD310s - Deere certainly has built a bunch of them over the last 30 years. JD310/410s are everywhere, and most still in use. I don't know about aftermarket because I've never looked! The dealer is just too handy. How is that for being a captive owner?

Anyway, the same gas spring fits both doors on about every JD cab ever made, and would be a real good place for some innovative person to market an upgrade. The gas spring installs in 5 minutes with two bolts.

There is just no logical reason to need as much force to close the cab door as it takes to open and hold the it open.

Every operator I know would buy one. Fighting with that door a few dozen times a day gets old. Someone could sell them right there on the job site off the lunch wagon. "Gimme a couple burritoes and one of those door spring things"

rScotty

/ JD310SG cab door effort #5  
I was in the same situation last month. Last year, I replaced the door cylinder and tried several methods with no success. So I sold it and bought a used excavator for work. Now I'm using the newly purchased excavator, and it's working well.