Ballast JD Rear Ballast Box

/ JD Rear Ballast Box #1  

AKKubota

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2520
I have a 2520 w/ 200CX. I have the JD rear ballist box and plan on filling it with cement and putting in some pipe-tool holders (copied from another TBN post).

I don't have filled tires or wheel weights.

Question is: Should I get the JD extension or would the "short box" be enough?

Another issue is teh tight clearance on the front tires & the steering linkage. Is there a front wheel spacer and/or can I reverse the front wheels?

thx in advance

/ JD Rear Ballast Box #2  
The BB filled with Portland Cement should come out to about 800lbs or so without the extension. My FEL manual has weights listed with sand, regular cement and Portland...Do the new manuals not have this info any more?

/ JD Rear Ballast Box
The 200CX manual has a table and it shows 374# w/o ext and 515# with if loaded with concrete. This seems way under. I measured the box and it is 18x20x24inches giving me about 5 cu ft (right?)...which should be more than 374#.

I just bought 8 6o# bags and they look about right.....?

/ JD Rear Ballast Box #4  
AKKubota said:
I have a 2520 w/ 200CX. I have the JD rear ballist box and plan on filling it with cement and putting in some pipe-tool holders (copied from another TBN post).

I don't have filled tires or wheel weights.

Question is: Should I get the JD extension or would the "short box" be enough?

Another issue is teh tight clearance on the front tires & the steering linkage. Is there a front wheel spacer and/or can I reverse the front wheels?

thx in advance

The addition of that section seems to make the box over 1100 lbs when stuffed with concrete. Don't knwo if you would ever need that. Doesn't it depend on how much you are lifting in the loader?

So when are you gonna modify your username?:D

/ JD Rear Ballast Box #5  
KennyD is right. Portland cement is the most dense cement therfore providing the most weight per cu ft. Wheel spacers are available. I think we have a set at work if your intrested. I think they are 1 or 1 1/2 inch spacers. We tried to put on tire chains on the front wheels and it didn't work. You shouldn't need the extension on your ballast box for a 200 CX loader just the main box.

/ JD Rear Ballast Box
Thanks for the advice on the box.

Shot_Gun What is the part number for the front spacers. I would get them from you, but shipping to AK from NJ is probably $100+!

/ JD Rear Ballast Box #7  
You maybe right LOL. I'll check on it and let you know.

/ JD Rear Ballast Box #8  
Wheel spacers are LVU12475. You need two. You need 8 of LVU13274 lug bolts for the extra spacers. The spacers are 25mm or 1 inch. Good luck.

/ JD Rear Ballast Box #9  
AK, I just copied this from an earlier post I made:

Here is what I know, per the Manual for my 410 loader-page 15-11:

CALCULATED BALLAST:
BALLAST
W/EXT. / 176lbs / 104lbs / 308lbs
TOTAL
WEIGHT / 800lbs / 1018lbs / 1330lbs

So, Without the BB extension, the box weighs 616lbs w/sand, 780lbs w/ concrete, and 1014lbs w/Portland cement.

I used regular cement from the local rental place that sells Redi-Mix U-Cart concrete. I just put the BB on my trailer and drove there and they filled it! Troweled it when I got home! Don't forget to seal the inside seams first with duct tape or silicone or the water will run out and make a mess! (been there, got the T-shirt!)

/ JD Rear Ballast Box #10  
I talked to my JD dealer abut cement ballast and he said in his experience, practically nobody uses cement. They just pile some rocks in there.