JD L120 vs L130

/ JD L120 vs L130 #1  

rv4ator

I am considering purchasing a JD L120 or L130 mower. After looking at the specs, the only difference I can see is the engine. The L120 has a 20 hp Briggs V-twin & the L130 has a 23 hp Kohler Command V-twin. Is the Kohler engine worth the extra $300 price tag? Which engine is better/more reliable?

/ JD L120 vs L130 #2  
I feel the kolar is a beter engine. I would sugest looking at the LT180 thuogh. It is only 17hp but the kawasaki is a better engine and you are getting a heaver frame and deck. will take the rugged terrain a lot better and last years longer. We have had quite a few L series back in for welding and adjustments. Just my two cents worth.

/ JD L120 vs L130 #3  
The kohler is a heck of an engine for $300. I have the L120 in a briggs with 48" cut. I love it,I cut my time in half,literaly.I used to cut with a 44" craftsman gear and this L120 is like a cadilac. The mower was worth every penny and if I wear it out in 10 years, I can still buy another and not have paid as much as you would for JD's high end stuff.

/ JD L120 vs L130 #4  
Go with the Kohler. I think it's a better motor and it is a heck of allot miserly on fuel. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ JD L120 vs L130 #5  
Go with the L130. The L120 with the Briggs engine has some issues with rough idling. It will idle rough at anything below 1/2 throttle and there is appearantly no cure for the condition other than not operating the engine under 1/2 throttle. The L130 Kohler is a much better machine engine wise. If you would like specific details you can PM me. Hope this helps!