JD 790 ?

/ JD 790 ? #1  

countrybumpkin

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti, kubota
I'm looking at a 790 4WD fel 280 hours, they are asking 9500 for it. Does this sound like a fair price? And will it work a 5 foot bush hog , in mild feild work. I've got a 2310 2wd long but not sure of the Hp of it. It does about right with the bushhog , but would like the 4WD and FEL.

/ JD 790 ? #2  
I'm running a 5' cutter behind my 790. It does a fine job using 2nd or 3rd Low range (about as fast as I'd want to go on the field I mow).
At the worst, if the brush is really thick, I may have to drop a gear or make a partial pass. Since those cutter blades spin so quick (and take so long to slow), shifting isn't any problem.

I keep the loader on as counter balance but might try it without the FEL next time I cut. I don't think I'd raise the 3PH without the loader or front weights however.

Bottom line...that 790 will do a fine job on that brush.

The price sounds really good. I suspect that tractor is one of the older 790's with the #70 loader. I'd buy it in a hearbeat!

/ JD 790 ? #3  
Does it have a vertical stack or is it hidden under the hood? If it is vertical, then I am betting it is the 30HP model. Regardless, it is a good price for such a low use tractor.

/ JD 790 ? #4  
That does sound like a good price and you'll love the 4wd and FEL. Like Roy, I run a five foot cutter with no problem. FEL or front weights, it gets light in the front with neither. Unlike Roy though, I'll mow in 2 Hi mostly. I'm generally mowing well kept weeds, nothing more than a foot high normally and it's not too thick /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ JD 790 ? #5  
The 790 will handle a 5' brush hog with no problem.
I have a 6' and only need to remember to have the RPMs down when I engage the clutch. I also keep the FEL on, but mostly to knock over and dig up the multiflora roses that are trying to take over the field.