JD 770 Fuel shut-off solenoid wont stay closed.

/ JD 770 Fuel shut-off solenoid wont stay closed. #1  

toni45

Tractor
John Deer 770 compact
We recently replaced the solenoid thinking it would fix the problem. It didn't. It will close for a moment with the key but once we go to start is opens and won't start. Wires don't look too bad, all relays click, I do have a lose fuse in the fuse box but I'm wondering if it could be the key switch? Anything I should check before I buy another part?

/ JD 770 Fuel shut-off solenoid wont stay closed. #2  
That sounds backwards.

/ JD 770 Fuel shut-off solenoid wont stay closed. #3  
On my SCUT turning key off operates fuel cutoff solenoid, and then releases after 8-10 seconds....

/ JD 770 Fuel shut-off solenoid wont stay closed. #4  
lots of things are in the fuel solenoid system, as you can see in these two drawings (old version stops at tractor serial number 105,92)
I have a PDF of the tech manual that you are welcome to before you keep throwing money at it!, if wanted, send me your email and it's on the way.
I'll message you my email

Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 9.51.08 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 9.50.53 AM.png

/ JD 770 Fuel shut-off solenoid wont stay closed.
lots of things are in the fuel solenoid system, as you can see in these two drawings (old version stops at tractor serial number 105,92)
I have a PDF of the tech manual that you are welcome to before you keep throwing money at it!, if wanted, send me your email and it's on the way.
I'll message you my email

View attachment 785754
View attachment 785755
Thank you, I do have the tech manuel I will have to stare at it a but more to understand what I'm looking at.

Thank you, I do have the tech manuel I will have to stare at it a but more to understand what I'm looking at.
I wish the tech manuel listed part numbers. Does anyone know if they sell wires individually instead of buying the whole wiring harness?

That sounds backwards.
It's a pull in solenoid. For some reason power supply fails when starting is not holding it in when running. If I wire the solenoid open tractor starts.

/ JD 770 Fuel shut-off solenoid wont stay closed. #8  
Then it must have a low voltage control relay that has done went bad. Your low strength ignition signal goes to a relay that has the high strength. Your ignition signal makes the relay close and pull solenoid open. So, something has a bad connection or something has gotten weak in that circuit. I have seen those get burn spots inside that will cause a poor function condition. If they are big enough I will take apart and fix. The big 300 to 400 dollar ones I do take apart, so far, fixed every one of them. Trac hoes and dozers have big bell relays. But, yours could be too, I don't know.

/ JD 770 Fuel shut-off solenoid wont stay closed. #9  
I wish the tech manuel listed part numbers. Does anyone know if they sell wires individually instead of buying the whole wiring harness?
complete harness only

/ JD 770 Fuel shut-off solenoid wont stay closed. #10  
look in your manual for testing the "time delay control module" part of it's job is to hold the solienoid open as the key switch moves from "start" to "run" kinda sounds like yours isn't making the changeover