JD 5425 planetary noise.

/ JD 5425 planetary noise. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
Earlier this week my across-the-road neighbor brought his JD 5425 over to move some pallets of bricks and cinder blocks that my tractor could not hope to move. (He had nothing on the rear for ballast and those pallets made even the 5425 visibly light in the rear tires, double wheel weights and all.)

Anyway, I noticed that when he turned sharply with it in 4wd the planetary gears made a fairly loud groaning sound. No popping or grinding or clicking. Just a sort of a dull roar.

Is this normal? I did not want to ask him if something was wrong. He really likes the tractor.

The reason I ask is that I'm looking for something in the 70-100 hp range and that 5425 fit the bill nicely. I have only limited experience with large tractors and no experience with JD. My tractor is a Kubota with bevel gear fronts and that is what all the larger Kubotas I've looked at have as well. I'm familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of the bevel gear set up but know nothing about JD planetary gears. Just want to make sure that if I'm test driving a JD and hear this noise that I know if it is a problem or just normal.

/ JD 5425 planetary noise. #2  
May have been moving the pallets in 4wd on dry surface (pavement) and there was some wind-up tightness in the drive system.

/ JD 5425 planetary noise.
It was on dirt and grass but that was my impression as well.

/ JD 5425 planetary noise. #4  
Some models of JD utility tractors of that era have a history of brake disks dragging when not in use. Maybe that's what you were hearing. Was rear diff lock engaged or unengaged?

Diff lock not engaged. Noise definitely coming from planetary gears. No doubt about that.

/ JD 5425 planetary noise. #6  
Does the noise stop when taking out of 4wd ?

Not sure but I think so.

/ JD 5425 planetary noise. #8  
If you are going to pursue this with the neighbor, might be worthwhile finding out if this is just noise from the 4wd winding up tight, or if there is something serious and not related.

I'm not concerned about his tractor. I know he heard the noise. For whatever reason, I just didn't want to ask him if his tractor was broken while he was doing me a favor.

I mostly want to know if this is typical or not when it comes time for me to look at and/or buy a used one like his.

My brother-in-law has a similar, but considerably larger JD and does most of his own repair work, etc etc. I'll ask him.

/ JD 5425 planetary noise. #10  
Was the noise from the front hubs? They have planetary gears. Or the rear axle?
I would now ask your neighbor. Just tell him you are considering buying a larger tractor and wondered if the noise was normal. He might be able to explain.