JD 5105 Repair Thread

/ JD 5105 Repair Thread
What did you have to split the 2030 for? I've had to split the 3545 a couple of times.

Screenshot_2017-12-12-13-52-48-1.png

/ JD 5105 Repair Thread #12  
I also use an engine crane/cherry picker when I remove the loader brackets from my JD 2030. Been there several times to split the tractor.
What did you have to split the 2030 for? I've had to split the 3545 a couple of times.

View attachment 752842
You split a much bigger tractor!

I've split my 2030 at least three times.

One of the lines to the Independent PTO (PTO clutch) broke.

Replace clutch

Lost all hydraulics. I thought transmission pump failed. Turned out splines that drive it in the pressure plate stripped. First, I split clutch housing to transmission case. Then had to reassemble and split engine to clutch housing to replace the pressure plate. Local JD dealer said they had seen that before, but rare.

Splitting stand is home made. I block the rear and move the front 1/2
2030split.JPG

/ JD 5105 Repair Thread
I block the rear and move the front 1/2
We did that on the Massey as well. The front half is actually nearly balanced with the suitcase weights. We locked the wheels so it wouldn't try to fold with the steering and just used a floorjack and a couple of steel rims welded together to lift the engine side. Obviously that doesn't work for all applications, but did for us.

/ JD 5105 Repair Thread
Wiring harness showed up. Valve cover from Ebay also arrived. The remainder of fthe critical parts should be here this week.

20220711_212828.jpg

/ JD 5105 Repair Thread #15  
Being an engineer I am am sure you already know this. Take the extra time and lay the harness out and label all the plugs. Test fit all items that are being replaced in the harness before installing them. It makes it easier to find any issues that either need corrected or a new harness ordered. Also it makes install much easier. If you have my luck something will not line up and you will have to order more parts, or modify the harness. I had to do similar work on a Skidsteer that caught fire, I was lucky we managed to put it out before much damage was done. Keep us posted on your progress. As a final touch dont forget to mount a fire extinguisher.

/ JD 5105 Repair Thread #16  
Thank goodness that's one of the old school simple tractors. Also that the fuel tank was behind the seat instead of right there where your fire is!
It's kind of crazy that the rubber fuel line and the inline filter go right behind the dash like they do. For that matter the rubber line runs all the way to the bottom of the tank like it does. Always threatened to run a stainless hard line but never got around to it.

/ JD 5105 Repair Thread
Being an engineer I am am sure you already know this. Take the extra time and lay the harness out and label all the plugs. Test fit all items that are being replaced in the harness before installing them. It makes it easier to find any issues that either need corrected or a new harness ordered. Also it makes install much easier. If you have my luck something will not line up and you will have to order more parts, or modify the harness. I had to do similar work on a Skidsteer that caught fire, I was lucky we managed to put it out before much damage was done. Keep us posted on your progress. As a final touch dont forget to mount a fire extinguisher.

I was also a mechanic in college, so I have an "eye" for electrical harnesses. This one is pretty simple. But my initial fitment will just be to get the tractor running before I order any parts or clean up/paint any brackets. That will give me a chance to make sure everything's right. I want to make sure it runs right before buying more parts than needed to make it run.

/ JD 5105 Repair Thread
Thank goodness that's one of the old school simple tractors. Also that the fuel tank was behind the seat instead of right there where your fire is!
It's kind of crazy that the rubber fuel line and the inline filter go right behind the dash like they do. For that matter the rubber line runs all the way to the bottom of the tank like it does. Always threatened to run a stainless hard line but never got around to it.
I'm sure it's a cost thing. Rubber lines running underneath could certainly be improved. It's just bulk fuel lines, so making/running some hard lines later on would not be difficult. There would have to be some short rubber sections at the tank and fuel head as well as a hard line disconnect part way. If I was in a more scrubbrush part of the state, I would do so.

/ JD 5105 Repair Thread
More teardown last night. No real surprises found. The bolts holding the console bracket were a pain with all of the molten plastic covering them.

20220713_220144.jpg

Of this was a better design, I could have left the orbital valve in place.

20220713_221224.jpg
20220713_224418.jpg