Comparison JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION #21  
Well that 5420 will be a definate upgrade in power over your 5105 and is alot more tractor to boot. Seems to be in good condition just looking at the pic.

I looked at the prices for a few new tractors before this post and was drawn to the 5085M with cab. Equipped with the features I would like it totaled about $53k list and should sell for about $44k. This should last you a long time and I suspect you would really like it without reservations. With loader this would be about a $35k upgrade with your trade, rather steep but you are getting alot more tractor too.

Trust me on this, anywhere you can drive a canopy tractor such as the 5420 you posted you can take a cab tractor too. I have a canopy and cab tractors and have to say driving these expensive tractors through the trees and limbs is not something I do anymore. The glass is not as fragile as some on here think but looking at the big picture if you drive through the woods very much the tractor will look worse for wear.

Having a cab tractor is alot more pleasant and I think you should give it some consideration. I lived in Pike county for a number of years and know that you would appreciate the cab where you live. An 85hp cab tractor and cat 2 implements would be a very good match JMHO and would likely eliminate the future wish to upgrade to a cab tractor.

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION
Well that 5420 will be a definate upgrade in power over your 5105 and is alot more tractor to boot. Seems to be in good condition just looking at the pic.

I looked at the prices for a few new tractors before this post and was drawn to the 5085M with cab. Equipped with the features I would like it totaled about $53k list and should sell for about $44k. This should last you a long time and I suspect you would really like it without reservations. With loader this would be about a $35k upgrade with your trade, rather steep but you are getting alot more tractor too.

Trust me on this, anywhere you can drive a canopy tractor such as the 5420 you posted you can take a cab tractor too. I have a canopy and cab tractors and have to say driving these expensive tractors through the trees and limbs is not something I do anymore. The glass is not as fragile as some on here think but looking at the big picture if you drive through the woods very much the tractor will look worse for wear.

Having a cab tractor is alot more pleasant and I think you should give it some consideration. I lived in Pike county for a number of years and know that you would appreciate the cab where you live. An 85hp cab tractor and cat 2 implements would be a very good match JMHO and would likely eliminate the future wish to upgrade to a cab tractor.

Steve, I agree with the cab comments. I just don't think I am ready to make that step. The deal with this canopy is that it can be removed. One thing I really like is that this unit has the folding ROPS and underhood exhaust. My 5105 doesn't have either and I have already snagged my vertical exhaust once and also had to unload the tractor from the trailer because it wouldn't fit under the barn while on the trailer. I had planned to help a guy disk his food plot the next evening after work and didn't want to have to come home and load and lose daylight. I also despise leaving anything out in the weather. I don't do a lot of work in the woods, mainly just pulling out downed trees and keeping up woods roads. Definitely could make good use of the cab, but can't justify at this time. I also heard at the dealer Saturday that a lot of customers are trading for the 5083E cab. Think those are going for a lot less than the 5085M. Takes you back to the "E" vs. "M" deal though. Thanks for the comments.

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION #23  
Just one more suggestion, instead of removing the canopy consider buying a Florian pole saw. I keep one handy to cut limbs in my way, these things are super sharp and will cut a 3" branch very quickly, reach is about 15'. Cost about $125.

Tried going to their website, but doesn't seem to be working properly. Is this a power saw or manual saw. Sounds like a good idea.

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION #25  
Tried going to their website, but doesn't seem to be working properly. Is this a power saw or manual saw. Sounds like a good idea.

i think he's talking about a pole saw. similar to what Sthil and Poulan and others make. long pole that can be adjusted to many different heights with a mini chainsaw at the end.

btw, that tractor looks to be in great shape! hope you get it!:thumbsup:

Steve, Thanks for the link. Our service people have blades like this that attach to the end of an extendable rod. Very handy tool.

After running through my numbers again, I have counter offered with the dealer to try to reach a more "workable" price. Not sure if he will match it or not. Got to talking with a fellow co-worker yesterday and about decided this tractor may be bigger than I actually need. Although it will do things my 5105 won't there are also things the it can't do. I use my 5105 in the garden for single row crops. Was threatened to be photographed and placed on YouTube if I was caught trying to work a garden with a 80 HP tractor!

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION #28  
. . . I use my 5105 in the garden for single row crops. Was threatened to be photographed and placed on YouTube if I was caught trying to work a garden with a 80 HP tractor!

We want a link to the video!!! :D :laughing:

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION #29  
deere 5105,

I gave alot of thought to what size tractors would be best for me and decided to go to the larger compact for a few reasons. First, where I use my tractors the most are on residential properties, some ot these have confined spaces. Second, I am making the change over to pto powered tillage implements rather than disks which work much better in tight spaces as a tiller will till deep as soon as you drop it down, whereas a disk needs to travel atleast 30 feet to fully engage. This change to pto powered tillage greatly reduces the need for a larger tractor capable of the high draft loads normally associated with plows and disks. Third, in most cases the ehydro is way easier to use on my projects IMHO and I have had them all I think.

Years ago my in McComb I used 3020 and 4020 to handle most of the tractor related tasks on a 180 acres. This place needed the normal run of things such as new fences, pasture renovation, clearing, contouring and solving drainage issues. Quickly found the need for a small dozer and bought a deere 450 to help with clearing fence rows and general earth moving. Like everyone else at the time I had the usual chisel plow, offset disk, disk harrow and section harrows to improve the pastures. These were sized to the equipment on hand and worked out reasonably well. Also had the smaller low hp old tractors and a variety of smaller cheap implemennts for the odd jobs.

Later on I thought I needed larger equipment (what young man doesn't want larger equipment :laughing:) and bought a Case 1370 and new 850 dozer to expand the operation. With this came the need for larger tools, trucks and trailers. Learned how tough the world is somewhere in there.:( Still had some great experiences along the way and did for the most part found I enjoyed this.

Back to the present, I am leaning more towards minimal till using pto seeders and renovators rather than high draft equipment so I see less need on a regular basis for large tractors. I feel the vast majority of the time a 40 to 60 hp compact will do all that needs to be done along with my small backhoe. My gut feeling is it would probably be alot more economical in your area to hire out major tillage via a local farmer when needed rather than doing it yourself. You may find as I have that something along the lines of the 4520, 4720 or your existing 5105 may fill the bill from this perspective.

In a nutshell I am focusing in on adding better implements in the 40 to 60 hp size that I can use frequently, just seems to make more sense to me. Hope this helps a little and good luck with your decisions.

Steve,
Curious if you have pulled the MX6 and the 8' landplane with the 4520 and if so how it handled them?

Think you may be on to something with your new strategy. I think this is one of those situations where a 50 HP to 60 HP tractor is all I would ever need, but for just a little bit more you can go bigger. As you stated, when you go bigger on the tractor so goes the need to increase implement size to make full use of the bigger tractor and then there are other things that have to follow suit and be increased too.

Again, thanks for the advice. Seems I am not traveling an untraveled path!!