JD 310SG TLB won't start

/ JD 310SG TLB won't start #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
Well, I've got a problem.This is a JD 310SG - one of those yellow construction loader/backhoes we see everywhere on construction sites. This machine is high hours, but has always started instantly in even the coldest weather - though I ease the wear by plugging in the block heater when it gets cold. Yesterday I fired her up to plow some snow, and it ran fine for a few seconds and then just suddenly stopped. Now it won't even pop.

This is a first time it hasn't started easily since we got it It. Never had this type of problem with any diesel. Yes, it has been cold here for a week and down to -22F at night. Days warmer, but still below zero.. When it warmed up to about +15F it was time to plow some snow, so I plugged in the block heater for a few hours - and like always she fired right up.

Ran normally for about 15 seconds and then when I tapped to accelerator to get it off the high idle "step" it just quit running. No stagger or slowing; it just abruptly stopped running. It quit so Instantly and suddenly that it was startling. I shrugged, checked the readout for codes - nothing there - and then cranked it for awhile...nothing at all. Not even a pop.

Plugged in the block heater for the rest of the day and then tried again... no change.

I run automotive diesel fuel and winterize with the recommended dose of of Opti-Lube winter... which is advertised to prevent gelling. But I wonder... ?? Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 8.41.04 AM.png

rScotty

/ JD 310SG TLB won't start #2  
Take a look at the fuel filter; if it’s cloudy, it’s probably gelled.

If that’s the case, put in a new filter and something lime Power Service 911 (red bottle).

/ JD 310SG TLB won't start
Take a look at the fuel filter; if it’s cloudy, it’s probably gelled.

If that’s the case, put in a new filter and something lime Power Service 911 (red bottle).
Will it un-gel on it's own??

It's supposed to be as high as mid-40s for a couple of days and only down to 30 at night. A regular heat wave.

I can let it sit a bit. And I could keep the block heater plugged in - though I've never done that for more than a few hours.

/ JD 310SG TLB won't start #4  
Will it un-gel on it's own??

It's supposed to be as high as mid-40s for a couple of days and only down to 30 at night. A regular heat wave.

I can let it sit a bit. And I could keep the block heater plugged in - though I've never done that for more than a few hours.

Warm weather should ungel it, but I don’t know if the filter work as well (I’ve always just put a new filter in).

/ JD 310SG TLB won't start #5  
Check the filter bowl first. If that looks clear and un-gelled, check your fuel shutoff solenoid next.

Warm weather should ungel it, but I don’t know if the filter work as well (I’ve always just put a new filter in).

OK. Today I figured it was warm enough to work on the 310SG. Much as we like the Kubota M59, it's been a cold winter and the 310 does have a nice cab.

First step was to get the old fiter off. That's easy. Gotta remind myself to get some sort of special wrench for the plastic ring nut on top. Hope it's not a special gold-plated JD tool. Maybe get a spare ring nut as well - plus another fuel filter or two.

Then resisting the urge to re-use the old filter - only a year old - I filled a brand new one half and half with good diesel and some Power Service 911 in the Red bottle. JD also sells a similar product, but people seem to like the PS. Filling the filter took a surprising amount of the fuel/PS mix.

Mounted the filter up, using a flexible strap wrench or never would have gotten it tight. Pumped the primer until bubbles quit, tightened everything and cranked.... and cranked ... and.. nothing. Three times in 15 minutes with a rest for the starter to cool and nothing. Battery gettng weak... Then just as I shut the key off for what was to be the last time before calling the JD mobile mechanic, I heard the exhaust give a single "poot". It was a pretty feeble "poot", but worth another ten seconds of cranking... and then it fired once more and harder this time....so I kept the starter crankng and finally she caught. Whew! Now running like a champ. Starts like she always did.

So maybe the filter was waxed and a new filter + Power Service 911 fixed it. or maybe it wasn't the filter at all. Maybe she just wanted some attention.

rScotty

/ JD 310SG TLB won't start #7  
you guys in Colorado should have a winter blend diesel available. i always make sure my storage tank is empty and rigs are emptied before winter hits and top everything off with winter blend just to be sure. i dont use any fuel additives. never have in 30 years.

we had -37 for about a week and a half, and i too plugged in heaters for a few hours prior to start on trucks and tractor, and all started and ran good. what you described sounds exactly like gelling.

you guys in Colorado should have a winter blend diesel available. i always make sure my storage tank is empty and rigs are emptied before winter hits and top everything off with winter blend just to be sure. i dont use any fuel additives. never have in 30 years.

we had -37 for about a week and a half, and i too plugged in heaters for a few hours prior to start on trucks and tractor, and all started and ran good. what you described sounds exactly like gelling.

I am discovering that some things we used to take for granted need more scrutiny these days.

Counting on someone else to sell us properly winterized diesel worked well for us for over 50 years ... so long that I stopped checking it myself.
It may be time to change that.
rScotty

/ JD 310SG TLB won't start #9  
I am discovering that some things we used to take for granted need more scrutiny these days.

Counting on someone else to sell us properly winterized diesel worked well for us for over 50 years ... so long that I stopped checking it myself.
It may be time to change that.
rScotty
I have learned to test a sample in the freezer and keep a 5 gallon jug of #1 fuel to blend if I need to. The neighbor has bulk tanks that I can get blended fuel during the winter too. If I could only buy 70/30 blend in October I would be set. (y)

/ JD 310SG TLB won't start #10  
Blend your own fuel for the winter you wish to be setup for.
My preference is about a 50/50 #2 and #1 with an anti-gell at the cold rate.
With this I don't have any issues without it I have had.
Even those that don't use much could fill a 30 or 55 gallon drum and be set for the winter.