3-Point Hitch JD 2520 Hydraulic Pump

/ JD 2520 Hydraulic Pump #1  

sldva00

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2520 CUT
Using rear cutter the other day and noticed a noise coming from engine. Lowered the RPM and disengaged the PTO to investigate an noticed smoke coming from hydraulic pump. Reved up the RPMs and noticed noise again. Went to drive tractor to garage and 3-pt wouldn't lift.

Once in garage, I decided to remove hydraulic pump and the shaft was stuck. I disassembled the pump and everything looked fine. When I put the pump back together without the bolts, the shaft spun freely. When I hand-tightened the bolts, the shaft had some resistance. When I tightened the bolts with a wrench, the shaft wouldn't spin at all.

Is this normal for a pump? Is there a rebuild kit available? The pump is a Kanzaki. I searched the numbers on the pump and couldn't find anything.
If this is normal, what could be the problem? The noise was definitely coming from the pump area.

View attachment IMG_5196.JPGView attachment IMG_5195.JPG

I tried to attach a video of the noise, but file was invalid. Its a .MOV file.

/ JD 2520 Hydraulic Pump #2  
Sounds to me as if pump was starving for oil. Have you ever checked/cleaned the hyd oil suction screen?

/ JD 2520 Hydraulic Pump
If you're referring to the screen in the back by the drain plug with the magnets inside, yes. It was fairly clean. Only had small amounts of metal around it.

/ JD 2520 Hydraulic Pump
While messing with the pump, noticed that a 12mm 12pt socket/wrench would fit over the shaft and the shaft would turn. I asked the parts guy at the dealer if the shaft would be hard to turn by hand or if it was free spinning. He said it should be hard to turn by hand.

I put everything back together. New filter, gaskets, o-rings and fresh oil. Turned tractor on and FEL works even better now (faster going up and down) but 3pt still wouldn't lift. After several hours of pondering, I had my Eureka moment. Light bulbs flashing. The whole works. The last time this happened was when I forgot to hook up the rear hydraulic house back onto itself after removing the backhoe several years ago. I ran to the garage and sure enough, the hose wasn't fully inserted. A branch must have disengaged the hose while I was mowing under some heavy brush I have along side my property. Why it took me so long to figure out, it just sucks getting old.

View attachment IMG_5239.JPG

View attachment IMG_5240.JPG

/ JD 2520 Hydraulic Pump #5  
So Jim was correct, since the PB line was disconnect the pump was starving for oil and the system was in "relief" the entire time and overheated the pump and oil. How long did you run it like that?

/ JD 2520 Hydraulic Pump
I use the cutter to mow under the heavy brush along two sides of my property. The heaviest where I had brush hitting me and pushing me around is at the back. It must have been 15-30 minutes after mowing under that when I heard the noise and saw smoke coming from hydraulic pump.