JD 2240 Hydraulic Geyser

/ JD 2240 Hydraulic Geyser
I'll try again and let y'all know later. Thanks

/ JD 2240 Hydraulic Geyser #12  
I'll try again and let y'all know later. Thanks

QUOTE=TxGrndad;5100788]I'll try again and let y'all know later. Thanks[/QUOTE]

I wonder if it could be some sort of manufacturing hole that was once plugged but the plug popped out?

Because if that's not a breathing hole, what is it? Why is it there in the first place. It sure looks deliberate. I'll admit that it probably isn't a breathing hole - or any kind of hole that is supposed to be there simply becasue I can't imagine a breathing hole or open hole on a horizontal surface that doesn't have a way to exclude water and dirt. After all, breathing works both ways.

But whatever it is, it sure looks to be a deliberate hole, and it doesn't look to be threaded (or is it?). I suppose it could be a hole made in order to access a machine tool in order to machine some inside passage. That's not so unusual; castings often have that sort of hole made in the outer surface during the machining part of the manufacturing process. Holes in castings are later permanently sealed by either peening a ball into the hole .... or sometimes by threading the hole and installing a threaded bore plug - often a headless allen screw dipped in thread sealer.

Holes, don't just appear by magic; why is it there in the first place?

rScotty

/ JD 2240 Hydraulic Geyser
Well, replaced o rings; gaskets again even drained hydraulic, changed filter. Didn't work. Still spewing fluid through that hole. Does anyone know why it's there. All the diagrams show it but there is no reference. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm frustrated.

/ JD 2240 Hydraulic Geyser #14  
It looks like a defect in the part that has opened up, that isn't supposed to be there.

Edit link to diagram vv
John Deere

Last edited:
   / JD 2240 Hydraulic Geyser #15  
wrong pic for that hole ! I say again ...remove gearlevercover and look at its bottom(the inside of the gearshiftcover) for the bolt that should be in tgat hole !

/ JD 2240 Hydraulic Geyser #16  
Look at this pic. 20180530_064941.jpeg

/ JD 2240 Hydraulic Geyser #20  
I toke this photo out of the JD3140 book just to show you the gaskets under the gearshiftcover. I do not have the JD 2240 book.