Loader JD 110 TLB weak front end loader

/ JD 110 TLB weak front end loader #1  

bmunsell

I have a 2010 JD 110 TLB with about 440 hours on it. I've had it about a year and have put about 100 hours on it. Most of the work I've done has been fairly light dirt moving with some backhoe work thrown in. I also have a set of forks for the machine. So far it has been a great machine.

From the beginning I noticed that if I was pushing hard into a dirt bank filling the front loader bucket that the lift would stall fairly easy and then I would have to let up on the forward push to be able to pick the bucket up. Being new to the machine and also always being able to get a full front loader bucket full of dirt I didn't think that much about it. Today, however, using the forks, I went to pick up a pallet with four 55 gal barrles on it weighing 2,050 lbs and the front end loader would not even budge it. The load was on the back of a truck, about 5 feet off the ground and I could get right up to it but I couldn't move it with the tilt or straight lift. I could pick up two of the barrels with no trouble but not 4. The specs on the loader says I should be able to pick up 2350 lbs at five feet.

So I wonder what is going on? I tried doing some searches on this forum and on google and so far no ideas. Anybody have any advice? The backhoe has always seemed to be really powerful and the hydrastatic drive seems great. The dealer supposedly serviced the machine when I bought it. It starts and runs great. Flashing lights and turn signals don't work but haven't tried to fix them yet.

Just about winter here in Wasilla, AK, been down in the 40's and we are all scrambling to get all the summer work done we didn't do because we were fishing. :)

/ JD 110 TLB weak front end loader #2  
Welcome.

You will need to pull PSI readings too make sure they are in spec. There may be a pressure relief valve that is too weak, etc.

/ JD 110 TLB weak front end loader
Thanks for the reply. I guess I will have to lean on my son-in-law, who is a cat mechanic, to look at.

/ JD 110 TLB weak front end loader #4  
I'm not so sure your machine is malfunctioning. That is a lot to ask for a 43hp tractor.
I double checked the specs, and here is what I see in the online manual:
Pallet Frame and Forks

Frame Width 1,1 m (45.3 in.)

Frame Height 1 m (40 in.)

Overall Length (Frame and Forks) 140 cm (55.3 in.)

Fork Thickness 35 mm (1.4 in.)

Individual Fork Rating 950 kg @ 500 mm (2094 lb @ 19.7 in.)

Operating Weight (Frame and Forks) 180 kg (396 lb)

Lift Capacity at 24 in. Height 1043 kg (2300 lb)

Lift Capacity at 48 in. Height 952 kg (2100 lb)

Lift Capacity at Full Height 725 kg (1600 lb)

It may be a function of the load, including the fork attachment being just a bit
too much to lift. Whenever you put a load out on a pallet things change as far
as lift capacity. You are very close to capacity with what you were trying to lift,
and including your fork attachment probably over. I wonder if you could do anything
with all 4 barrels if they were on the pallet on the ground?

obviously, other things can come into play, check your hydraulics , filters, etc.

I wonder if your "load match" is not working properly? that tractor should have it built
into the hydrostatic transmission, which should reduce wheel torque under heaver loader
use automatically to keep engine RPM's up, so you don't lose loader performance.

/ JD 110 TLB weak front end loader #5  
I have a 110 also with pallet forks and use it to lift pallets of rock salt out of the back of my pickup. So figure 50lbs x 49 bags = 2450 at about 3 ft high. My machine has about 650 hours on it as of now. I can lift that load up about 12 inches at about 2000+ rpm. Really have to rev the machine up to move the load. Once up, i can back it out of the truck but the machine is very unstable with the *** end being real light. I usually move the dipper out and lower the outriggers just in case. At that weight, there is so much weight on the front end its very difficult to manuever over bumps for fear you will tip. So i can lift that load, then get it down on the ground, and put it back up with a struggle. With how unstable the machine is, i offload a bunch of bags to a second pallet and continue on. Getting it down is way easier then getting it up i no longer even attempt to do this and just split the pallet when i return home And btw, i also have a pallet frame that is lighter then the jd one to increase my load.

In respect to your machine, at 5 foot, i can see mine not lifting those barrels either. With my experience, im not sure if id want to anymore. At first i was upset with the performance, but after moving the loads around a bit, the tractor feels a little tipsy, and id rather be safe then sorry. If the tractor weighed 10k pounds, id be really mad, but we're talking under 8 with a 2000 pound load. Granted too that we are talking about that load 5 foot plus out from the front bumper of the machine.

I think your machine is fine and in spec or close to it. I think youre just asking a lot from it. A skidsteer or forklift can do what you are asking with ease, but its not just hydraulics at that point, but mechanics and the distance of the load to the axle too.

Dan

/ JD 110 TLB weak front end loader #6  
This is not from personal experience, but I believe I read this somewhere: The rollback/ tilt function can 'lift' more than the boom, and iirc someone unloaded full pallets of pavers (around 3,000 lbs) from flatbed by grabbing the last pallet from the side, rolling it back till the weight was 'off' the truck/ trailer deck, the truck driver would pull forward, and as soon as the pallet cleared the back of the trailer, the boom was lowered till it was just above the ground and then the 110 was slowly driven to where the pallet of pavers were to be placed. and this was repeated until all pallets were off of the flatbed. Again this is not from personal experience! But it may help.

/ JD 110 TLB weak front end loader #7  
bmunsell
Are you removing bucket and installing quick attach pallet forks?

/ JD 110 TLB weak front end loader #8  
oh, and the specs that dutch gave above are for "One-half maximum stable load at MAXIMUM REACH and 610 mm (24-in.) load center." so if load center is kept at 24" and you are willing to go above One-half maximum stable load it should do more. just be very careful moving with it.

/ JD 110 TLB weak front end loader #9  
This is not from personal experience, but I believe I read this somewhere: The rollback/ tilt function can 'lift' more than the boom, and iirc someone unloaded full pallets of pavers (around 3,000 lbs) from flatbed by grabbing the last pallet from the side, rolling it back till the weight was 'off' the truck/ trailer deck, the truck driver would pull forward, and as soon as the pallet cleared the back of the trailer, the boom was lowered till it was just above the ground and then the 110 was slowly driven to where the pallet of pavers were to be placed. and this was repeated until all pallets were off of the flatbed. Again this is not from personal experience! But it may help.

i wonder if it really lifted the pallet or just dragged it..?? i bet it was more of a controlled drop than just lowering the load. those pallets are heavy.
i did pavers and walls this year, and the material came i 2 different loads. I borrowed a customer's 280 jd skid steer to unload the
brick pallets, no problem, but i didn't have access to that machine when the wall block came. that time i borrowed my neighbor's
5410 tractor with 541 non self level load. i have to say, that tractor may not have been set up ideally for the task, (nothing on the hitch,
and 1 front tire was a tad soft) but it struggled with the pallets, and thankfully the delivery truck for this load was with a roll off bed that
meant i only had to pull the pallets off the bed while it was sitting on the ground, barely 10" off the ground, and those pallets were
all that tractor wanted! i did air up the tire to move the pallets later, but i could easily bring the back tires off the ground.
i haven't compared the 541 loader to the 110 yet, maybe tomorrow at work i'll do that and see how it compares.

/ JD 110 TLB weak front end loader #10  
Most of the pallets of brick or paver stones (man made) I buy are roughly 3400 lbs. More than I wan't to pick up with my 110, I break down two full pallets into three short pallets.