J2023 With Issues

/ J2023 With Issues #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
Sure enough, right after my bumper to bumper warranty runs out I start having issues. That just seems to be my luck. The first issue I started noticing was several weeks ago when the tractor would kill itself when I got off the seat. It would take about 5 seconds after getting off the seat, just enough time for me to walk around to the back end to unhook from something, then it would kill itself just like you turned the key off. No rough idle, no signs of engine problems, it would just kill the engine. I checked little weight sensor button under the seat and it appears to be working fine, engaging and disengaging when you get off and on the seat. But the tractor has always idled just fine with me not in the seat. Now it does not idle unless you're sitting in the seat. You can be parked on completely level ground, in my shop, and get off the seat and the engine kills itself. So that has been very frustrating.

Now a new issue has popped up this week. I go to start the tractor and it won't do anything. No cranking, no clicking noises, no nothing. The battery is perfectly fine and is always kept on a battery tender when not in use, so I know the issue is not the battery. I finally figured out that if I hold the key in the "start" position and tap on each of the pedals forward and reverse, eventually the engine will start. It's almost like the pedals are not returning to their neutral position and the tractor thinks one of the pedals is being pushed, so it won't let the engine start. But I've checked the pedals and they seem to be returning to their normal position. So that is extremely frustrating. Sometimes I can tap each of the pedals a couple times and it and fires right up, other times I'm tapping on the pedals for several minutes before it decides to start.

So this got me thinking that maybe the two issues are related. Maybe when the tractor is idling and I get off the seat, it thinks that one of the pedals is pushed in and that the tractor is moving so it kills the engine. I really don't know what to check or how to fix this issue. I'm really not looking forward to taking it back to the dealer for repair since it is no longer covered under the warranty.

/ J2023 With Issues #2  
A warranty does not last forever. Reviewing your previous posts I see you negotiated an exceptionally low purchase price.

The dealer will quickly diagnose the problem, repair it, bill you and you'll be back in business.

Given your low purchase price, fortunately you've already buffered yourself from some of the sting that comes with non-warranty repair costs.

All the best.

/ J2023 With Issues #3  
A warranty does not last forever. Reviewing your previous posts I see you negotiated an exceptionally low purchase price.

The dealer will quickly diagnose the problem, repair it, bill you and you'll be back in business.

Given your low purchase price, fortunately you've already buffered yourself from some of the sting that comes with non-warranty repair costs.

All the best.

Under the tractor there is a switch that the pedals hit,just need to adjust it,I didn't have to move mine much

/ J2023 With Issues
That little sensor switch was the problem. The adjustment screws had backed out and the pedals were not pressing the button far enough in when they were in their neutral position. I can't get my hand down to the screws to loosen them to slide the switch further forward so I just duct taped the switch button in. Works like a charm.

/ J2023 With Issues #5  
That little sensor switch was the problem. The adjustment screws had backed out and the pedals were not pressing the button far enough in when they were in their neutral position. I can't get my hand down to the screws to loosen them to slide the switch further forward so I just duct taped the switch button in. Works like a charm.

I think that button is problematic. I had a related issue in a thread just a bit earlier to yours about hitting a log with my brush hog on my 3039. My issue was slightly different as the lever that depresses the button is bent and no longer directly over the button. When I resolved it, I took a picture of it and put it in my thread. I ended up putting a nut in a hose clamp to make a larger surface. My guess is though, that I will just end up disabling the thing eventually.