It runs for 30 seconds then quits

/ It runs for 30 seconds then quits #1  

NYlumberman

Tractor
Yanmar YT235, Kubota KX040-4, JCB 215T, John Deere 1545, Kubota RTV1100C,
I have friend with Cub Cadet/Yanmar EX3200. It starts, runs, runs then quits. So he called me, I have learned that he was running very low on fuel and when he was working along a pretty steep slope, his words, the tractor quit. He restarted it and drove behind his barn and parked it for the winter. This spring the battery was dead, (10 years old maintenance free) and when he jumped it wouldn’t stay running. I advised changing the fuel filter and water separator element, now done. And draining some fuel from the bottom of the tank. The fuel looked like there was water present, unfortunately he went ahead and filled the tank. Since after you let it sit, it starts. I’m thinking it’s a fuel issue. I had him run it with the fuel cap loose, he said it ran longer, but still quits. I couldn’t find a fuel system diagram online, (he will download the service manual.. eventually) does anyone know if there is a lift pump that charges the injector pump in the system? Or has anyone had a similar issue. I’m thinking crap in the tank.

/ It runs for 30 seconds then quits #2  
Look for a fuel shutoff valve, and turn it the other direction.

You can pull the incoming fuel line off of the injection pump and see how good of fuel flow you get. Then back trace.

/ It runs for 30 seconds then quits #3  
Bleed the fuel system. If there is air in the fuel system the tractor won't run properly. There may be a manufacturer recommended sequence. Follow it.

/ It runs for 30 seconds then quits #4  
Sounds to me like the fuel has grown Microbial Algae in it and it's time to drain it and dispose of it and clean the tank out and replenish with fresh fuel and add a microbial algaecide like Power Service Bio-Kleen to the fresh fuel as well.

The worst thing anyone can do is let any diesel fuel tank sit all winter and not being as full as possible. He's got issues for certain and remember, if the algae gets to the injectors, they will be toast.

/ It runs for 30 seconds then quits
Thanks for responding, fixing stuff by remote control is challenging. More information is available, when he changed the fuel separator he told me it took 15 minutes to fill, Ah Ha! He either didn’t open the shut off, or most likely there is a restriction between the tank and the separator. I advised to take the fuel line off at the separator and blow back into the tank. If that clears it, he (we) will have to drain and clean the tank. I don’t think air is the problem, Yanmars are self bleeding.He could very well have bad fuel, but the injector pump and injectors should be protected by the separator and the filter. The engine starts and runs fine, briefly.