Is winter fuel getting less #1 than it used to have in it?

/ Is winter fuel getting less #1 than it used to have in it? #1  

stumblinhorse

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case Farmall 75C, Kubota L3130
I have been using diesel fuel for 30+ years. This year is not colder than other years, I would say this winter is warmer than last winter. This is my first year ever where I need an anti-gel additive to run properly. It cleared up the rough running and missing/surging instantly.

I never used anything ever and never had any problems. Last year had -40* temp without issue. My Cummins Ram def froze solid and threw a MIL code. But everything ran fine. This year not the case.

Blend is weaker since #1 is higher cost?

/ Is winter fuel getting less #1 than it used to have in it? #2  
It’s hard to say. I believe I asked once years ago what kind of blend they were running and they had no idea what I was talking about.

/ Is winter fuel getting less #1 than it used to have in it? #3  
In my area there is simply no way of knowing with any certainty how, or when diesel fuel is treated or blended.
I always treat my fuel beginning in October / November, and run the summer fuel out of my tractor. I leave summer diesel in my zero turns since I don't run them until spring.

/ Is winter fuel getting less #1 than it used to have in it? #4  
I have no idea when or if they treat diesel in my area (eastern Washington). I just platy it safe and start treating diesel when the temperatures approach freezing. I've not had any problems with that approach.

/ Is winter fuel getting less #1 than it used to have in it? #5  
Like everything else, diesel fuel is probably getting lower quality. I treat my diesel year round and never have to remember or worry come cold weather.

/ Is winter fuel getting less #1 than it used to have in it?
I have probably burned 100k gallons of diesel in my life and the last 30 gallons is the first time I used anti-gel. Hasn’t been above zero here for the last few days. We went close to 30 days straight below zero for a high last winter and didn’t use anything.

I guess just another expense that I will have 7 months of the year…

/ Is winter fuel getting less #1 than it used to have in it? #7  
In my area there is simply no way of knowing with any certainty how, or when diesel fuel is treated or blended.
I always treat my fuel beginning in October / November, and run the summer fuel out of my tractor. I leave summer diesel in my zero turns since I don't run them until spring.
^^^Agree. A person should treat their own fuel and find a good dependable source that provides the blend they need. Where the OP is at and Denver have way different low temps. Up in the mountains, I bet the minimum would be a 70/30 blend or a 60/40 blend. Either find a trustworthy supplier or find some #1 diesel so you can mix your own. I keep a jug of #1 just in case and I also get a known blend from my neighbor.

/ Is winter fuel getting less #1 than it used to have in it? #8  
Bought 5 gallons of onroad winter blend fuel in January in northern Wisconsin and had a hard time pouring it out of the jug after it sat overnight in my unheated garage. Thank goodness for powerservice.

/ Is winter fuel getting less #1 than it used to have in it? #9  
Nobody can answer your question because the fuel is blended at either the local distributor terminal or the regional terminal.

As an example, the only local diesel with gelling problems was from Walmart. All the others seemed to be ok.

I get my fuel, ie diesel and propane from a local jobber who blends his own “winter” fuel. Never a problem. His reputation rides on providing good product at a competitive,mid not the lowest, price.

/ Is winter fuel getting less #1 than it used to have in it? #10  
I wouldn't be suprised if the fuel is the same nationwide. Companies would rather save the money on making one blend of crap fuel for everyone than making multiple batches for different locations.

The only places with decent quality control on fuel is airports. But then you still have to take samples and check your fuel.