Is this the correct part of the for to ask about my Cub Cadet LT1024?

/ Is this the correct part of the for to ask about my Cub Cadet LT1024? #1  

etyrnal

Tractor
Cub Cadet LT1024
Is this the correct part of the for to ask about my Cub Cadet LT1024?

/ Is this the correct part of the for to ask about my Cub Cadet LT1024? #2  
Yep, what is your question?

/ Is this the correct part of the for to ask about my Cub Cadet LT1024?

Diagnosis help.

Initial Problem:
Started off with a simple/obvious problem which i was able to fix. While mowing, the bottom engine oil seal fell out, and i shut off the mower immediately. I knew it happened because it flung oil onto the hot muffler, and i had the engine off before 95% of it drained out. I shut down the motor, heard a liquidy sound, looked under motor, saw oil coming out fro bottom of motor, saw oil seal sitting on drive pulley. Pushed mower beck to driveway. Ordered a new seal (Briggs & Stratton 446777 24hp). Part came. I thought i was going to have to pull motor to do this repair at first, so i, removed battery, detached choke and throttle cables, unplugged pto cable, unplugged engine wiring harness plug, un-bolted starter wire (read heavy gauge wire). After removing deck and getting a better view, i realized i would NOT have to remove motor. Pulled pto and drive pulley. Cleaned up area around motor shaft and bottom of motor. Carefully pressed in new seal. Put all back together, incl. battery with cleaned terminals/connectors, filled with correct amount of oil.

REAL PROBLEM:

Turn mower ignition on (not started yet). Dash lights up normally ( i think). All looks normal except the oil pressure light is on -- not sure if that's just because i haven't started it yet. NOTE: afik, All wiring is connected and unmodified from factory -- i.e. no bypassed safety switches, etc. Sit down on seat, Turn up throttle, pull up choke, depress brake, make sure pto is pushed IN (disengaged), turn key -- NOTHING. The problem has never happened before. Does unplugging the engine from the LT1024's "brain" set up some strange condition where a special sequence has to happen to reset the brain to be satisfied with the right conditions? If the mower is NOT running, should the low oil pressure light be on until it's started? Is it just on because the brain sensed it was tripped, and now needs to somehow be reset? The motor doesn't even bother to try to crank. I don't even hear a solenoid click [i DO hear the headlight relay click when turning past the lights on position tho). I'm at a loss. I have a multimeter, but i don't know what to test. I feel like something needs to be reset. I literally shut the engine off IMMEDIATELY the instant i saw the smoke form the oil on the exhaust. I'm certain there's no engine damage, and the engine turns smoothly by hand. So, where do i start?

Thanks for reading. I tried to include everything i could hoping to answer all questions as much as possible. :eek:

Should i re-post with a better subject, now that i know this is the right part of the forum?

/ Is this the correct part of the for to ask about my Cub Cadet LT1024? #5  
I'm going to go out on limb and say something's going on with your oil sensor at the motor. Don't think that type of oil sensor lights unless oil is low or nothing in it or the sensor is bad. Although I would think it would turn over but not start. Make sure the oil is right at the full mark on the dip stick.

Also make sure your plug for your clutch is plugged in good. Some use a 4 wire to the clutch , two of which is a safety.

Just under one of these (LT1050) yesterday so I'm thinking what may of happen.

I'm really wondering why your oil seal fell out in the first place..?

Last edited:
I wonder if there is a way to test the oil sensor Theory, by temporarily bypassing it long enough to see if it will start up? Like a way to unplug it? Or jumper it?

/ Is this the correct part of the for to ask about my Cub Cadet LT1024? #7  
The oil pressure sensor on a Briggs engine is just a simple normally closed switch with no oil pressure, so the light should be on with it not running. The switch opens with a small amount of oil pressure, like 6 psi if I remember correctly. I would lean more toward something wiring wise didn't get reconnected when you hooked everything back up. I don't think the brain on the mower is smart enough to self diagnose itself.

You should also hear the fuel solenoid on the carb bowl click when you turn the key on. I suspect that there is still a wire unplugged some place,

/ Is this the correct part of the for to ask about my Cub Cadet LT1024? #8  
One other thought is the starter solenoid is normally under the battery with one of the retaining bolts holding the ground connector.

Is there a way to 'hotwire' the starter for a couple engine revolutions to see if cranking oil through it might trigger the oil pressure sensor if that's it? I don't mean to make it fully run, but to prime the pump/sensor

Maybe i can just hand-turn it. Looking down on the motor from above, which way does the flywheel normally spin? I don't specifically recall.