Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester?

/ Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester? #21  
I can get truck ends for under $10 at WalMart. Hoppy Brand.

Chris

/ Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester? #22  
My favorite source for towing needs: 1.800.WEAVERD located in Frederickburg, PA. Used to have free shipping east of the Mississippi.

/ Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester?
I can get truck ends for under $10 at WalMart. Hoppy Brand.

Chris

I will check my Wal-Mart. I do not recall seeing these at TSC, Autozone or Napa before. I was looking on Ebay and the cheapest on there is $16 shipped to my door so Wal-Mart is going to get a visit tomorrow.

/ Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester? #24  
A helper? What is that? It is hard to get helpers around here for anything and I am usually working on things alone so I try to find ways to do things easier. The truck isn't my biggest concern, I would like to find a diagnostic tool for the trailer since wiring is usually a problem with them.

that's easy.. a mirror setup at the back of the trailer to see the lamps.. and a 12v battery and jumper wire with gator clips.. hit the posts and see what ya get, vs what you are suposed to get.

my 'helper' is usually a calibrated 2x4 section I wedge against the seat to hold the brake pedal down! easier than teaching the wife how to do it !! ;)

soundguy

/ Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester? #25  
my 'helper' is usually a calibrated 2x4 section I wedge against the seat to hold the brake pedal down! easier than teaching the wife how to do it !! ;)

soundguy

I use a brick on my brake pedal to hold it down. 12 volt trouble light. Ground wire on 1 end sharp point on the other to check for 12 v power

/ Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester? #26  
That covers the truck side. Thanks for the link. I will check Northern and try some other searches to see if I can find one to test the trailer side.

if you tested the truck side and it tested out to match the tester, then wouldn't the trailer side be as easy as just hook it up and test it?

turn signals, parking lights, break lights.

jack up one side spin a tire by hand hit the brakes?

/ Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester? #27  
That's how I've always done mine... not much more than test lamp work, and if trouble shooting, then battery and jumper clips and a meter or test lamp.. etc..

soundguy

/ Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester? #28  
Using clips and jumpers is fine if you only do it once a year but I do 25 or more trailers a year.

Chris

/ Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester? #29  
How does # of times effect outcome? it wither is a working system or not???

soundguy

/ Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester? #30  
By having a self contained unit like I built you can plug in the trailer and flip one of each 6 switches at a time to test all 6 functions of the trailer wiring quickly and effectively. It takes less then 1 minute to do all functions. I can stand at the rear of the trailer with the test box and run the test then unplug it and go on to the next trailer.

If using a battery and jumper wires along with a test light/meter it would take 10 minutes per trailer.

I also built a tester for the truck side that is nothing more than 6 LED's on a 20' piece of wire. Plug it in and sit in the cab with it in you lap and run the lights, brakes, headlamps, ect. Quick and easy.

Chris