Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester?

/ Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester? #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I have three trucks that I use for towing and currently two trailers. All of them are the 7 pin style connectors. Does anyone know of a simple tester you can plug into the truck and possibly the trailer to find any faults? We have a couple different testers for testing GFCI outlets in houses which is what made me wonder if there is any available for trailers or trucks.

If there isn't one available yet would one of you smart fellows make one, get rich from it and send me a free one for giving you the idea?

I replaced the male plug on my flatbed trailer as it was a 6 pin and we were using an adapter and it just was a junk setup from the start. However, my dump trailer isn't showing up on my brake controller and the truck says there is a fault in the trailer. I would love to plug a tester in and it tells me where or what the problem is instead of trying to trace everything down wire by wire. If there was a tester for the truck side of things I can eliminate the problem from the truck side easy enough as well as check the trucks periodically.

/ Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester? #2  
Look at etrailer.com and search "tester" if this is not the one you want.

/ Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester? #3  
I think Northern Tool has them. (northerntool.com)

/ Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester?
Look at etrailer.com and search "tester" if this is not the one you want.

That covers the truck side. Thanks for the link. I will check Northern and try some other searches to see if I can find one to test the trailer side.

The price isn't bad either which surprised me.

/ Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester? #5  
I've used one for a 6 pin plugge dinto a 7 pin adapter.

that or just use a test lamp and have a helper to press the brakes and actuate turn signals and whatnot.. headlamps / illumination.. etc.

soundguy

I've used one for a 6 pin plugge dinto a 7 pin adapter.

that or just use a test lamp and have a helper to press the brakes and actuate turn signals and whatnot.. headlamps / illumination.. etc.

soundguy

A helper? What is that? It is hard to get helpers around here for anything and I am usually working on things alone so I try to find ways to do things easier. The truck isn't my biggest concern, I would like to find a diagnostic tool for the trailer since wiring is usually a problem with them.

/ Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester? #7  
I have ones for the truck side but never seen one for the trailer side, so I made one. I used a truck side plug with some switches and a lead to plug into a cigarette lighter for power. I use my jumper box to power the tester I made.

Chris

I have ones for the truck side but never seen one for the trailer side, so I made one. I used a truck side plug with some switches and a lead to plug into a cigarette lighter for power. I use my jumper box to power the tester I made.

Chris

I was expecting you to jump in since you deal with this often. I am surprised no one has made a trailer tester commercially yet. Do you have a pic of the tester you built up?

/ Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester? #9  
No, I do not have one with me. In Providence RI this morning for work. Its really simple. All I did was take a trucks 7 pin female plug and hook one wire to each pin with a small box I got at Radio Shack with 6 switches and then a 20' piece of wire going to a cigarette lighter plug for power. I have a 10 amp fuse in line. Like I said I usually use a jumper box to power it. To check 4 flat plugs I just use a 7pin to 4flat adapter.

I then labeled each switch for function like Brake light, L turn, R turn, 12 Volt constant, Reverse lights (optional on most trailers), Electric brakes.

Chris

/ Is there a 7 pin truck/trailer plug tester? #10  
You can take an ~ohm-meter~ to test them also.