Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?”

/ Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?” #21  
I have yet to have a task that I absolutely needed the 425. I have 2 other tractors, none with fel mounted. I have a fel for the Deutz, but it needs some work on the cylinders, I will get to it in due time. Most of my tasks can be handles with three point attachments. I will eventually solve the cold start problem. It may take an engine replacement. I will just schedule PT tasks around the warmer weather. Maybe living in an enclosed building will help it too. I knew about this problem when I bought it, so not disappointed. When I solve it, I will post the solution.
Have you ever tried a shot of starting fluid before cranking the first time?

No throttle.
Remove air cleaner.
1 second shot of starting fluid in the carb.
Full choke.
Turn key.
See if it fires.

/ Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?” #22  
Have you ever tried a shot of starting fluid before cranking the first time?

No throttle.
Remove air cleaner.
1 second shot of starting fluid in the carb.
Full choke.
Turn key.
See if it fires.
No I haven't, I try to stay away from ether if I can. I may try it. Will pick up a can as I have not had that around for years.

/ Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?” #23  
I'm not a fan of ether either. I watched our hay guy stall out his diesel, and be unable to start it for whatever reason until he got a can of ether out. Clearly a band-aid, but it got him out of a tight spot (my driveway). I went out and bought two cans of ether the next day, just in case. I am saving them for a tight spot.

All the best,

Peter

• Good Post
Reactions: Lnk
   / Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?” #24  
I think the only problems with using starting fluid would be over-using it. That's why I just do a 1 second squirt into the carb and give it a try.

/ Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?” #25  
This thread might eventually rival the immortal one called Pallets in Fields but I fear, there aren't enough Power Trac owners to make it happen.

• Good Post
   / Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?”
How should you use starting fluid? One time at work I seen a guy use it on a diesel engine. The air filter being a few feet away from the can and someone cranking the engine over, he sprayed a mist of it into air, it got taken in through the air filter and started.

• Good Post
   / Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?” #27  
The only diesels I ever used starting fluid on had built-in starting fluid systems. That was 35+ years ago. I've only used starting fluid on small gasoline engines since then, because I've never had a large gasoline engine fail to start.

So chainsaw, weed eater, (both 2-strokes with other issues), and my Kohler CH25 when down below 15F. It's to the point that I don't even bother to not use it below that temp, as it's pretty much guaranteed to start if I use it.

On my Kohler, there's no way for the starting fluid to easily get into the air intake and through the filter without soaking the top of the engine. So I just remove the plastic filter cover, then remove the filter itself, giving me access to the top of the carb. I then give it just a 1 second blast and that's all. Then I try starting it. (If it doesn't at least pop on that 1 blast of starting fluid, it's probably a spark issue.) For me, 2 or three times of that routine and I'm running. I've never not been able to get it running.

• Good Post
   / Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?” #28  
I've seen people use carb cleaner as a less volatile alternative to ether.

• Good Post
   / Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?” #29  
I've seen people use carb cleaner as a less volatile alternative to ether.
Yes it will work(and I have used it). However, it is a cleaning solvent and removes oil from the cylinder walls. A starting fluid should have a lubricant in it, like this.

/ Is there a “Power Trac Secret Society Club?” #30  
It also tells you to NOT use it with the air cleaner off, so follow manufacturer's directions. ;)

That one is not for diesel engines, either.