Is now a good time to sell used tractor?

/ Is now a good time to sell used tractor? #1  

tradosaurus

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400 HST, heavy duty bucket, 3rd function, R1 tires (rears filled), 2 remotes
Been mulling over selling my L3301 Kubota with 91 hrs and upgrading to an MX series.
I'm only 2 yrs into my 5 yr Kubota loan.
Seems like used tractor prices are elevated.

/ Is now a good time to sell used tractor? #2  
Been mulling over selling my L3301 Kubota with 91 hrs and upgrading to an MX series.
I'm only 2 yrs into my 5 yr Kubota loan.
Seems like used tractor prices are elevated.

I would make sure that you can get what you want to replace it with first... and that you are satisfied with what you will pay for it.

/ Is now a good time to sell used tractor? #3  
I agree with the answer above. If you decide to move ahead, I'd wait until the latest round of stimulus checks have gone out, and people will likely be sitting on a little extra money in their pocket.

/ Is now a good time to sell used tractor? #4  
I would make sure that you can get what you want to replace it with first... and that you are satisfied with what you will pay for it.

^^^ usually, economic events don’t happen in a vacuum.

Used tractor prices are high due to (1) limited supply of new tractors and/or (b) higher prices on new tractors.

Same with used cars.

If there was money/value to be made in selling used and buying new, rest assured the financial types would be all over it and fast.

/ Is now a good time to sell used tractor? #5  
Haaaaaaa. . . I have noticed in the past few weeks, you have had a few comments that made me think you were eying a new MX:thumbsup: In December when I got my new MX, I visited the Kubota house in Athens and they still had an MX5200HST open station for a decent price. I know that’s not a local dealer, but if the price is right, 150 miles might not be too bad.

/ Is now a good time to sell used tractor? #6  
So now is a good time to sell - Not a lot of inventory on Tractorhouse or Craigslist, and the prices are elevated. What are you hoping to get for yours - $19-$20k? Is that enough to make sense financially? New stock is also low. You could end up tractorless for a while - but you could also end up with a tractor you will be a lot happier with. The math just has to work out, and timing.

/ Is now a good time to sell used tractor? #7  
I,ve got about 60 years of buying and selling experience. Here,s what I have noticed. If I can sell whatever at its high point, if I am going to replace it with something similar, it will also be selling high. The only time you win at that game is if you sell at the high point, and don,t have to replace what you just sold with something else. Everyone would love to sell at the high point, and turn right around and buy low, but it very seldom works out that way. For me, it,s the difference that matters.

/ Is now a good time to sell used tractor? #8  
Tractors, trucks, houses, etc. good time to sell, bad time to buy. So yes you should be able to sell your current tractor but can you get a replacement in the time you need it?

/ Is now a good time to sell used tractor?
So now is a good time to sell - Not a lot of inventory on Tractorhouse or Craigslist, and the prices are elevated. What are you hoping to get for yours - $19-$20k? Is that enough to make sense financially? New stock is also low. You could end up tractorless for a while - but you could also end up with a tractor you will be a lot happier with. The math just has to work out, and timing.

If i could sell it for about $20K including the grapple and FEL I would be happy.

/ Is now a good time to sell used tractor? #10  
A search of Tractor House under 40hp Kubotas (all years and models) shows 24 listed in the last 120 days within 150 miles of you.

A search of Kubota L3301HST listed in the last six months shows 9 in the US!

Kubota L3301.jpg