Is it to cold to buy diesel

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #21  
That's why I add power service (white bottle)
any time that I get diesel just to make sure that
I am always ready for any cold weather. Its
better to be safe than sorry

Today it looks like frosty the snow man was playing
here every thing is white and its +20 degrees.
Yesterday it was in the teens and I just wanted to
see if my tractor would start without using the glow
plugs no problem about 2 rev's and it was running

willy

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #22  
I was underwhelmed with the power service winter/white. I put three pickle jars on my porch-straight #2, #2 w/ normal power service added (whatever the bottle called out), and #2 with double that amount (also mentioned on the bottle). At about 0 F all three were equally cloudy. Not sure if it would have been enough to clog a filter, but it gets much colder here. This wasn't a very controlled experiment, I just looked at them on cold mornings. There very well may have been some temps where the Power Service treated fuel looked better, but at +14 F none were cloudy, and near 0 all were cloudy, but not clumped or solid.

I too struggle w/ knowing how much #1 to buy at the beginning of the season and end up normally getting too much. I'd hate to be stuck w/out any when I need it. (I use #2 w/ Power Service gray bottle in the summer and #1 with Stanadyne in the winter).

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #23  
I was underwhelmed with the power service winter/white. I put three pickle jars on my porch-straight #2, #2 w/ normal power service added (whatever the bottle called out), and #2 with double that amount (also mentioned on the bottle). At about 0 F all three were equally cloudy. Not sure if it would have been enough to clog a filter, but it gets much colder here. This wasn't a very controlled experiment, I just looked at them on cold mornings. There very well may have been some temps where the Power Service treated fuel looked better, but at +14 F none were cloudy, and near 0 all were cloudy, but not clumped or solid.

I too struggle w/ knowing how much #1 to buy at the beginning of the season and end up normally getting too much. I'd hate to be stuck w/out any when I need it. (I use #2 w/ Power Service gray bottle in the summer and #1 with Stanadyne in the winter).
I too use PS white bottle and was questioning its value. After a bunch of testing over a few years, I have some ideas about diesel fuel clouding/gelling. I find that the fuel treatment helps against large/thick strands or solids forming compared to straight #2 fuel. Some will separate out and make a solid layer at the bottom of the jar but the treatment seems to keep the paraffin suspended in a cloud. Most of my testing was in a freezer at -4 deg F. My latest test was 25% #1 blend at -11 deg F on the deck. The sample was VERY cloudy with no solids except for slight thicker waves in fuel. This sample has been sitting for at least 2 weeks. Normally, sitting longer will make the sample look worse as more separates. I'm pretty happy with this sample as it was all still suspended.
If you are running summer fuel and your solids are all sitting at the bottom of the tank, I don't think it will take long for your filter to gel up.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #24  
What percent #1 are they blending in the fuel you buy in the winter?

Today I filled up my 2 portable containers with #1 Winter blend Offroad diesel.

I could not find any information on the pump nor the staff inside about what temperature rating this fuel is good for.

If I can remember correctly, I asked a few years ago and I'm thinking it's good for -25F to/or -30F.

I'll ask again the manager that gave me the specifications a few years ago, when I see him.

I know they sell a lot of diesel and offroad diesel with all of the logging operations in the area, the county roads equipment, and the state roads equipment.

I do use 2 to 3 times the amount recommended of the white bottle Power Service additive.

KC

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #25  
Winter blend is nothing more than adding 10-15% kerosene to the diesel. I buy the summer fuel and add kero myself as well as diesel winter additive.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #26  
I live in Pa always use a fuel additive in my tractor fuel.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #27  
Well here is some info on #2 Fuel with double dose Power serve,
picture from 5F (-15C);
sample 1 at 5F.jpg

same bottle at -14F (-25.55C);
sample 1 at -14F.jpg

Lots of cloudiness from paraffin particulates that would plug a filter and bring a diesel to it's knees.
The same fuel in the tractors that had to run today had kerosene added to them to make a 50/50 blend of #2 and #1,
they are running and working.
Anything with this fuel wouldn't be running for long. The filter would be plugged.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #29  
Nah, you’ll be fine. The temp below ground is much warmer. Add an anti-gel to your tank. Probably already cut with kerosene/winter additives.
I'm a north country guy as well. The above answer covers all the basis. Even when the frost is 5 feet into the ground--pretty uncomoon these last years--the fuel in undergrround tanks should be in the 40 + degree range. Add at least 1/3 kerosene and a good anti-gel additive. That should eliminate all the problems.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #30  
I need 5 gallons of diesel.
It's a bright sunny day but it's only 5 degrees and windy outside.

What's the chance that the diesel in the pump at the gas station is gelled?

After I get it home, it will be in a 45 degree heated garage.
I buy diesel at 5gal a time, I tend to buy it at a station with high fuel turn over and add a little conditioner haven't had an issue yet. Ontario Cdn