Is it to cold to buy diesel

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel
I think it will be ok. I stretched the hose out, squeezed the handle and nothing came out. so I flipped the lever up and filled the can.

I'm guessing the "pay before pumping" requirement makes it easy to drain the hose when your dollar amount is reached.

The can is sitting on the bench now and tomorrow I will shake it up good before dumping it in the tank.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #12  
I need 5 gallons of diesel.
It's a bright sunny day but it's only 5 degrees and windy outside.

What's the chance that the diesel in the pump at the gas station is gelled?

After I get it home, it will be in a 45 degree heated garage.
You worry to much, the chance of fuel being gelled at the pump are about zero.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel
Thank you for all the responses. My new tractor has about 25% more hp and burns a lot more fuel than my old 2720. This is the first time I needed to buy more fuel when it is this cold out.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #14  
If it were -26F here - - only some form of dire emergency would get me outside. This arctic cold front moving thru our area is making it cold enough. It's +2F right now.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #15  
If it were -26F here - - only some form of dire emergency would get me outside. This arctic cold front moving thru our area is making it cold enough. It's +2F right now.
thanks... where I live most of the year if its not wickedly cold then its black fly season.... if I didn't get outside my chores would never get done. (haha) You get used to it / dress for it ... and sometimes give a little prayer that you could live in a place much worse.

1675097220451.png

Attachments

• 1675097220451.png
    1675097220451.png
    201 KB · Views: 470

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #16  
Don't bother asking the station attendant who probably has no idea of what you are talking about. A local diesel distributor may be more helpful. I inquired and was surprised to learn that Boston is considered a relatively mild climate and winter blends were not distributed before December while down Maine they would be distributed in October. The problem for small operators like myself is that we don't burn through diesel like truck owners or large operators. I may easily have a blend of August fuel in the tank and more summer fuel in the 5 gallon cans.

Power Service, Stanadyne, Lucas, and others sell anti-gel additives that are widely available. I find it cheap insurance and peace of mind to add some additive sometime in Autum. If gelling occurs, it is a PITA to remedy. It most likely occurs in the exposed fuel line or filter where there is less fuel to surface area. Opening up the line or filter to add Power Service Diesel 911 (red bottle) in the temperatures that caused the gelling is unpleasant. While gelling may occur at temperatures below 40°F, temps above 60°F may be required to un-gel.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #17  
Don't bother asking the station attendant who probably has no idea of what you are talking about. A local diesel distributor may be more helpful. I inquired and was surprised to learn that Boston is considered a relatively mild climate and winter blends were not distributed before December while down Maine they would be distributed in October. The problem for small operators like myself is that we don't burn through diesel like truck owners or large operators. I may easily have a blend of August fuel in the tank and more summer fuel in the 5 gallon cans.

Power Service, Stanadyne, Lucas, and others sell anti-gel additives that are widely available. I find it cheap insurance and peace of mind to add some additive sometime in Autum. If gelling occurs, it is a PITA to remedy. It most likely occurs in the exposed fuel line or filter where there is less fuel to surface area. Opening up the line or filter to add Power Service Diesel 911 (red bottle) in the temperatures that caused the gelling is unpleasant. While gelling may occur at temperatures below 40°F, temps above 60°F may be required to un-gel.
I too asked when the supplier delivered winter fuel and it wasn't until in December. Guys with snowplows want our winter fuel before we get cold weather, not just the onset of the cold temps. Also, having the tractor inside where it is warm helps but the little fuel line out in the open with cold air blowing by it will get cold quick. Diesel fuel is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #18  
I live is SW Michigan. Gets cold here. All diesel suppliers switch over to winter blend around mid-October. I'm sure it's the same in Iowa.

No additives needed since the supplier takes care of that. I've never used additives in diesel and I've lived here 65 years.
NOT QUITE ALL STATIONS IN MICHIGAN HAVE WINTERIZED FUEL. A FEW YEARS AGO IN ST.AGNACE I FOUND ONE THAT DIDN'T. We go to the UP most winters to snowmobile and On the way to Munising we stopped and filled up in St Ignace since we had a 1/4 tank or less.The next morning my Ford Diesel ran about 2 miles and stopped.It was under warranty so Ford had it towed. The dealer told me my fuel was jelled. They added some fuel additive and no more problems. I never had that problem since and I have owned Diesel cars and tractors as well as my truck. We have had a lot of fun In The UP.but I do put a bottle go fuel additive in before we start our trip.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #19  
During the winter I use "#1 blended winter offroad diesel" with the additive Power Service.

During the summer I use "#2 offroad diesel" with the additive Power Service, just for extra lubrication.

We just finished up with 3 days of over -20F + and the tractor is stored in an unheated garage.

After 14 winters I've never have had a diesel gel problem...

Knock on wood...

KC

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #20  
During the winter I use "#1 blended winter offroad diesel" with the additive Power Service.

During the summer I use "#2 offroad diesel" with the additive Power Service, just for extra lubrication.

We just finished up with 3 days of over -20F + and the tractor is stored in an unheated garage.

After 14 winters I've never have had a diesel gel problem...

Knock on wood...

KC
What percent #1 are they blending in the fuel you buy in the winter?