Is it safe to weld my wife's turkey roaster pan that we use for cooking?

/ Is it safe to weld my wife's turkey roaster pan that we use for cooking? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
The handle let go on my wife's turkey roaster pan today on a ham. The wire handle was just spot welded into the pan and then ceramic coated. I could easily clean that up and just tack the handle back into the pan but the wife isn't sure it would then be safe to eat out of. I don't see any problem since it was welded once so why not again? Just a simple MIG weld but no ceramic coating over it.

You guys know more than I do so any advice on this? Photos below.

IMG_3157.jpgIMG_3158.jpg

/ Is it safe to weld my wife's turkey roaster pan that we use for cooking? #2  
It will be fine...Just weld it.

/ Is it safe to weld my wife's turkey roaster pan that we use for cooking? #3  
how are you going to ground it ?

/ Is it safe to weld my wife's turkey roaster pan that we use for cooking? #4  
If I need a ground and don't want to grind off a lot of coating, I'll use a chunk of rod, and tack it where I've already ground for the repair. Might have to move it once during the process, but it's the least intrusive way to do it.

/ Is it safe to weld my wife's turkey roaster pan that we use for cooking? #6  
Weld it. I have welded handles back on a few stainless pots and one pan. Aside from needing reading glasses I'm fine. But I needed them anyway.
Eric

/ Is it safe to weld my wife's turkey roaster pan that we use for cooking? #7  
Yeah there is no food safety issue using normal MIG hard wire - ER70S, probably. It is just steel, like the rest of the pan. Well, I guess I am assuming it is a steel pan and not aluminum or something else... That would be an important point.

/ Is it safe to weld my wife's turkey roaster pan that we use for cooking? #8  
Oh no, ive had many meals out of homemade pots. I didn't know they were so dangerous. I can't wait to use my completely homemade soup pot. Made it at work. Fried fish almost every weekend in a big pot made out of a piece of pipeline. Gosh I'm in the danger zone. Cooked over an open fire too. Living on the edge.

/ Is it safe to weld my wife's turkey roaster pan that we use for cooking? #9  
but the wife isn't sure it would then be safe to eat out of.
Buy a new turkey roaster pan.
If she isn't sure it's safe she may not want to use it, and a bunch of yahoos on a tractor forum may not convince her.

/ Is it safe to weld my wife's turkey roaster pan that we use for cooking?
Does "is it safe..." really mean "I want a new pan?"
Wife doesn't want a new pan and is a frugal woman in that and most regards. She already has every kitchen tool possible but has reached critical mass and wants no more. This does not apply to shoes or makeup.

It's a steel pan and she just gave the go-ahead to weld it so it's on the list. I'll ground it one way or another.