Is hydro fluid extremely clear??

/ Is hydro fluid extremely clear?? #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
I confess: While I paid my dealer to do my initial 50-hour service, I never checked the hydro fluid level myself until tonight ... 155 hours in :eek: aka 105 hours after the 50-hour service.

So, I was surprised when I pulled the transmission dipstick out & could hardly see anything :shocked: I looked closer & closer, & ... am I seeing a very thin, very clear film of hydro fluid on the dipstick? I can't tell, but it seems like it, maybe ... ?!?

So ... Is hydro fluid this clear? It seemed to fall within the hi & lo marks. Looks about like water ... maybe with a little oil mixed in?

/ Is hydro fluid extremely clear?? #2  
Yes, it is clear looking. JD sells a red dye for less than $4 to make it more visible on the stick and in the sight glass.

MT3668 FLUID, HYDRAULIC OIL DYE ADD 3.91 USD

/ Is hydro fluid extremely clear?? #4  
Yup it's like water...Clean the dipstick really well and use a perminant marker on the bottom of the dipstick..Much easier to read. The dispstick should be black or the fluid dyed...A silver dipstick and clear fluid is a bad combo.

/ Is hydro fluid extremely clear??
OK, thanks - I feel better. Phew.

/ Is hydro fluid extremely clear?? #6  
There was a thread on here at one time where a guy flamed his dipstick to make it easier to read, but I don't remember the details so I can't recommend it. I usually just run my thumbnail along the edge. This stuff is really clear.

/ Is hydro fluid extremely clear?? #7  
If you use the Deere dye, it's about a drop per gallon to get visible results. If you were changing out 10 gallons, I'd even start with about 6 drops. Start small, and if you need more contrast do another drop per gallon or two. I use it on my JD 318 so I can see the hdyro fluid in the sight tube. I don't use it for better readings on dipsticks on other equipment. Under a bright light or sunlight you can see where it's wet and where it's dry. Even more so if you're naturally myopic. That's visually, not mentally :laughing:.

Pete

EDIT: And a click of the 'ol mouse towards kennyd for suggesting the dye and knowing the part number.