Is anyone familiar with the Landpride "Spiked Pulverizer" implement?

/ Is anyone familiar with the Landpride "Spiked Pulverizer" implement? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Is anyone familiar with the Landpride single or double spiked pulverizer? Preferably double spiked?

This is what they look like.
land pride.jpg

What I would like to do with this is go over short mowed, dry August lawn grass stubble to scuff existing ground and add a little seed with my Brillion seeder. I don't want to do a complete job with this, only to add enough new seed so the grass color will blend with the newer grass I have put nearby. This implement would also be easy to trailer, fast to use and looks like it would work.

Anyone know anything about them?

/ Is anyone familiar with the Landpride "Spiked Pulverizer" implement? #3  
I have one like that, a "Yard tool" by Leinbachs and it does not "scuff existing ground" it Pulverizes the ground. Great for starting a new lawn and makes a great seed bed. I guess if the ground is uniform that you might be able to raise it up to Scuff the ground but it's design to to dig in (very heavy).

I would guess that a landscape rake might work better.

/ Is anyone familiar with the Landpride "Spiked Pulverizer" implement? #4  
   / Is anyone familiar with the Landpride "Spiked Pulverizer" implement?
Re: Is anyone familiar with the Landpride "Spiked Pulverizer" implement?

DOGS: For you, PULVERIZER threads from the T-B-N archive:

land pride pulverizer site:tractorbynet.com - Google Search

Good thinking and duh on my part. Some good info there and I never thought to search. Seems like the double pulverizer will work fine for my purpose.

I have one like that, a "Yard tool" by Leinbachs and it does not "scuff existing ground" it Pulverizes the ground. Great for starting a new lawn and makes a great seed bed. I guess if the ground is uniform that you might be able to raise it up to Scuff the ground but it's design to to dig in (very heavy).

I would guess that a landscape rake might work better.

Landscape rake would just drag over the ground. Want to rip it up a bit so that rain will bring back the existing grass as well as allow the new seed to start.

Or maybe a soil aerator like this?

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...MI-Imn3Zjz1wIVgrjACh3gZQF8EAQYAyABEgIhwfD_BwE

Or bigger?

View attachment 530731

I think a soil aerator does what you want as opposed to the pulverizer.

Yard Tuff 6 3 pt Plug Aerator YTF-6PA3PT : Rural King

This would work a little bit but would not scuff enough and would also bury some seeds too much. More important would be transport and that would prove a hassle. Need three pint hitch to load and unload quickly and transport.

/ Is anyone familiar with the Landpride "Spiked Pulverizer" implement? #6  
For what you are wanting I dont think a pulverizer is the right tool.

The issue is it is very difficult to do anything with existing and established sod without making a bigger mess out of things.

I have been trying to find the best way to rework a rough lawn without starting over......and havent came up with anything yet. Existing sod is a problem. Likes to tear and clump, and leave uneven results.

If you get one, you will have to show some pics and let me know what it looks like running it over an existing lawn.

But for what you want, I think either an old rotary hoe would do what you want with less mess, or the expensive option...a slit seeder / slicer seeder

Slice Seeding | Lawn Plus LLC - YouTube
Land Pride Overseeders - YouTube

/ Is anyone familiar with the Landpride "Spiked Pulverizer" implement? #7  

Landscape rake would just drag over the ground....
If you extend the top link of the landscape rake, the tines dig into the ground pretty darn well. Do you have a rental business that you can rent both of these to try out?? Or does your dealer have any used equipment like this?

For what you are wanting I dont think a pulverizer is the right tool.

The issue is it is very difficult to do anything with existing and established sod without making a bigger mess out of things.

I have been trying to find the best way to rework a rough lawn without starting over......and havent came up with anything yet. Existing sod is a problem. Likes to tear and clump, and leave uneven results.

If you get one, you will have to show some pics and let me know what it looks like running it over an existing lawn.

But for what you want, I think either an old rotary hoe would do what you want with less mess, or the expensive option...a slit seeder / slicer seeder

Slice Seeding | Lawn Plus LLC - YouTube
Land Pride Overseeders - YouTube

What I need this to do is scuff up small areas of very short grass on areas I dare not till or rip up for seed because I can't. Usually it's under huge oak trees that I don't want to disturb or damage. I used to just broadcast seed and the stand was OK but not great and I need more seed to start so it blends with the new lawn. I had a Brillion slit seeder but sold it because it was too cumbersome for small jobs like this. It weighed 1500 lbs empty and that's too much for the tractor I wanted to use it with. Typically I would use under a huge oak tree and not a whole lawn. As well, slit seeders can skip a lot because the ground is not perfectly flat.
I don't think a rotary hoe would work because it would just poke holes unless I went super fast. I need a smooth and fluffy seedbed to start grass.

If you extend the top link of the landscape rake, the tines dig into the ground pretty darn well. Do you have a rental business that you can rent both of these to try out?? Or does your dealer have any used equipment like this?

I have and use a rock--landscape-- rake often but it would just drag and tear in this situation without giving me a soft(ish) seedbed for the grass to get started. I own or have used most every landscape tool and the spiked roller is something I think would work and there must be someone here that has owned or used one.

/ Is anyone familiar with the Landpride "Spiked Pulverizer" implement? #9  
I do... and I also own a Ratchet Rake for the FEL (which might work for you). It sounds like you want to plant grass where the sun don't shine... underneath oak trees? You might just want to layer more dirt under there for a seed bed.

The Spiked Pulverizer you are looking at it better suited for larger open areas. You'll be ripping out tree roots since the tool will penetrate the ground a inch or more...

If you are looking to scrape the top surface, the ratchet rake for the front end load is pretty nice, IMO.

teg--there we go. You have one in the middle photo above.

Around here, the ground is black dirt that looks like coffee grounds mixed with some clay. July and August are bone dry and the big oaks might be 15 or more feet to the first branch. Under the trees is dry and sunny. Shade anywhere is at a premium. So, in that scenario, how would your double spike roller do if the ground were already flat as a pancake and mowed short. All the grass would be dried stubble with almost no green. How much would those spikes work the ground? Would it sort of evenly scuff it up?

Important is that I would NOT have those front shanks touch the ground. They would cut grooves I don't want and rip up sod. Best if I just scuff the ground a little with just the spikes.

After scuffing I would seed and pack and wait for the rain. New grass would then grow and mix with the emerging grass from the old lawn. Thoughts?