Is air ride my solution?

/ Is air ride my solution?
Yes the air ride seat will make a big difference. OEM Kubota seats generally suck and give very little suspension. You can get a Grammar air seat which should bolt on to your machine relatively easily.

FYI I put one on my ZTR for the same reasons. I was hesitant to do it because of the cost - I have no regrets other than I should have done it sooner. I need to do the same for my M59 because the OEM seat really sucks on that machine...no suspension and it's tilted so you feel like you are constantly sliding off the seat.

I figured I would cross reference the dimensions of my existing seat to a Grammar. Since there isn't a Grammar dealer near me, I'll have to give them a call to see if they have a basic seat with the suspension only. I don't need the seat to be heated, etc.

/ Is air ride my solution? #12  
mikester - you have a Grammar on your ZTR. Is the air suspension in the seat adjustable. Meaning - stiffer or more pliant. Can you adjust the ride height with air pressure.

Stated previously - I've always thought it might help my back to have a seat like that. After a day on the "dancing pig" my back muscles can get all knotted up and sore.

Like cold1313 - no local dealer. Heck of an investment without being able to actually "touch" one.

/ Is air ride my solution? #13  
I have air ride on my T4.75. Most comfortable seat I've ever had on any tractor. It does make a difference. They are pricey however. I would first try to place heavier duty springs under your seat. If that is an option it will save you some coin. Those air rides are expensive. On my Toro Groundsmaster it has a spring seat that I don't find uncomfortable. I drive as fast as the mower allows for a good cut.

/ Is air ride my solution? #14  
I had an issue last winter where the surgeon cut me open from my rib cage to south of the border. Come spring I was still quite sore and soon discovered I could not mow on my ZD. The bumps were painful but the bilateral movements were worse. My issues were further complicated by my height (6' 4") and my knees were too high with respect to my torso while sitting on the machine.

So I bought an air ride seat after hours of reading and research. The seat came in and I mounted it on the ZD but soon found out the seat sat lower than the factory mechanical suspension seat. So I found a set of seat risers and installed them, adjusted the rear and forward seat height to fit me and viola, I could mow with out as much pain.

There isn't much you can do to reduce the bilateral movements, but getting better control of the bumps reduces the bilaterals.

Here is the ZD with the air ride seat and seat riser set up for me.

20180906_174014.jpg

I got the air ride seat at;
MILSCO V54 AIR RIDE SEAT, HUSTLER, EXMARK, TORO, BOBCAT, DIXIE CHOPPER, ZERO TURN #JQ - Seat Warehouse

Here is the adjustable seat bracket;
Trique Manufacturing Adjustable Seat Brackets SRB2 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Last edited:
   / Is air ride my solution? #15  
The seat on my 2009 M6040 is still OEM. That means one big spring with the tensioning knob. Last I read a new Grammar to fit my tractor was an M85 or something like that and around $2K. I only get "back muscle cramping/pains" if I'm in the seat most of the day.

I'll keep looking for a bigger, stiffer spring(s). If it were medically required or because it caused me real pain, in the short term - - completely different situation.

I'm currently dealing with some form of arthritis in my left shoulder. At times it's just me and advanced pain meds. The ONLY positive thing I can say - I finally know exactly what 10 out of 10 on the pain scale really means.