International Harvester Comparisons

/ International Harvester Comparisons #21  
Sounds like the OP knows mechanical things. So do I. And I going to say go with whichever one has a good power steering and a good 3pt lift. A lot of older converted tractors didn't have power steering because they weren't really made for a loader. They were also front end heavy. So get the one with a good power steering, and good 3pt lift... and if both do, get a good PTO.

Also, in something that old, a diesel would have to be in excellent shape or else I would very much prefer a gasser. That era of industrial gasoline engines were as good as diesels, and carbs and spark are easy to diagnose & repair ....plus any old gasser does start much easier than an old diesel in the cold.

We did much the same thing with a 1950's JD 2 cylinder and a trip bucket loader. It did the job and we thought it was wonderful. A lot of that was simply not having money and not knowing any better.
In fact, we still have it and it still works.... but nobody wants it. And nobody cares to use it.

We now have a Kubota TLB and wish we had bought it decades earlier... but of course we couldn't.

Keep in mind that even a 20 hp compact 4wd from the 1980s will get more actual work done... and with a whole lot less of your own effort. So after the IH, keep your eyes open.

rScotty

/ International Harvester Comparisons #22  
Either one can do the job, it should come down to which ever one is the easier for you to get on and use.
Myself I'd be looking for a bit more HP.

/ International Harvester Comparisons #23  
I would also look at the transmission gears of both of them.

The 606 only has a 5 speed unless it has a TA then it 10 speeds, but a torque amplifier (TA) may or may not bring issues. IIRC the TA would free wheel in low going downhill.

Also, the 1st and revers are kinda fast for loader work.

2424 transmission speeds

Neither are great loader tractors.

How much are you going to be mowing? The ability to cut with a say 8' rotary cutter will be faster than say a 5' or 6' cutter.

Last edited:
   / International Harvester Comparisons #24  
Neither are great loader tractors.
Our old International had a narrow bucket. Apparently it was rather good at digging (although the capacity was limited).

Both of the pictures appeared to have fairly wide buckets.

/ International Harvester Comparisons #25  
I was browsing a bit yesterday.

This is up near Seattle.

$3500 isn't bad for an older 4x4. No bucket, but there has to be one that could be adapted to it.

It says "Needs some general maintenance and repairs but it is a working machine." Whatever that means.

Anyway, I think the OP is quite far away, but it does give an idea of other types of tractors to keep an eye open for.

/ International Harvester Comparisons #26  
Sounds like the OP knows mechanical things. So do I. And I going to say go with whichever one has a good power steering and a good 3pt lift. A lot of older converted tractors didn't have power steering because they weren't really made for a loader. They were also front end heavy. So get the one with a good power steering, and good 3pt lift... and if both do, get a good PTO.

Also, in something that old, a diesel would have to be in excellent shape or else I would very much prefer a gasser. That era of industrial gasoline engines were as good as diesels, and carbs and spark are easy to diagnose & repair ....plus any old gasser does start much easier than an old diesel in the cold.

We did much the same thing with a 1950's JD 2 cylinder and a trip bucket loader. It did the job and we thought it was wonderful. A lot of that was simply not having money and not knowing any better.
In fact, we still have it and it still works.... but nobody wants it. And nobody cares to use it.

We now have a Kubota TLB and wish we had bought it decades earlier... but of course we couldn't.

Keep in mind that even a 20 hp compact 4wd from the 1980s will get more actual work done... and with a whole lot less of your own effort. So after the IH, keep your eyes open.

rScotty
rScotty has hit the nail on the head with his priorities. Power steering, Good 3pt hitch because you'll want a heavy implement on the back (ballast) to get the most out of a 2wd tractor. But, if you're ok with doing a little wrenching, it's an easy job to rebuild the rear hydraulics. That's just one of those things you do when you buy an old tractor.

I do however disagree with his suggestion that you can get more work done with a newer 4wd compact. I have two 4wd compact Kubota's. The larger of the two is a 1996 L2350 with 25HP engine and large R-1 tires front and rear. While you could make the argument they do some things better, my feeling is that my 1965 International 424 and my 1956 Ford 850 2wd tractors can both do way more work than the kubota's. Both these old tractors lift twice as much in the front loader as the kubota's, and I use heavy 72" gannons and an 84" land plane on the rear. There is no way the L2350 can wield these implements. Not to mention the front drive shafts on both Kubota's have already failed from trying to use them like tractors. On the B7100 it snapped the front U-joint and on the L2350 it stripped the splines where the driveshaft enters the front diff. The flimsy front shafts on both on these tractors are about the diameter of my fingers. Turns out it's a common problem with these light duty tractors. It was an expensive repair. You won't break anything on these old tractors. They are super heavy duty and built back when steel was cheap enough to use plenty of it. Weight is your friend in an old 2wd tractor. The more your tractor weighs, the more work you can do. Of the two internationals you're looking at, if the condition appears equal and I intended to move dirt and grade or heavy ground engagement, I would go with the bigger 6 cylinder 606. that extra hp would be nice. I see the 2424 has wheel weights and better tires so there is a little advantage there. The 606 is a little sexier looking than the industrial yellow paint on the 2424. Either tractor would be an excellent bargain at those prices if they are in good condition.

/ International Harvester Comparisons #27  
Which model you decided to choose consider rear tire chain also rear ballast for winter use.

/ International Harvester Comparisons #28  
I used 2wd tractors for many years for my driveway work and snow removal. My driveway is mostly steep 14-16 degree slope, on ice 2wd could be a handfull to stop, often had to use the bucket.
The new style Euro studded chains do a much better job then any ladder or duo-grip could do.

Oliver 1550 and an IH 574
100_4169.JPG
100_4171.JPG

/ International Harvester Comparisons #29  
Hi there! My husband and I just bought a 20 acre property. We will be moving our horses there in a few months and also want to try our hand at the homestead thing.

We are looking for a tractor for our new farm. We will generally be using it to brush hog the fields, move round hay bales and plow/scrape snow (western NY winters.)

There are two older (1960s) tractors that we are looking at that are approximately equal in price ($3300-$4000.) All else being equal (assuming they both start and drive) is one better suited for the job than another? Is there any particular advantage/disadvantage to either (known issues, hard to get parts, etc?)

#1 - International Harvester 2424 - comes with bucket
#2 - International Harvester 606 - comes with bucket and forks

Thank you for your help!
2424 is more like 404 - 40 hp 4 cyl gas the 606 is 60 hp - 6 cyl is this gas or diesel both were available for 606. Parts are available as stated. Manuals for repairs available, tons of YouTube mechanics you can follow that work and restore these tractors. Cheap horsepower over compact diesel’s 4wd. Biggest thing to check is hydraulics, brakes and clutch. If hydraulics work power steering will to. You have to be mechanical inclined to keep these units running. Not like today’s compact tractors. Both tractors are heavy so don’t plan on running over septic field with these tractors. Where as compact diesel is lighter. Pick your challenges wisely, it was stated well these are 50-60 year old tractors they need tinkering with to keep running well. Much like old Volkswagen air cooled motor.

/ International Harvester Comparisons #30  
The topic of 3 point hitches has come up, so I will add that the 2424 industrial may not have one.
That would be a deal breaker for me.
Also, if a primary use is moving round bales, make sure the loader can handle it. Otherwise, older IH machines are well built and easy to work on compared to modern machines.