International Harvester Comparisons

/ International Harvester Comparisons #31  
My 3 1/2 cents (adjusted for inflation)
The industrial tractor is built for industrial type work, usually heavier where needed. The front axle should be non adjustable and made to take more punishment than an adjustable ag model. The loader should be built heavier to handle digging in the earth, with a stronger frame and mounting points. They also have limited wheel width adjustments.
The ag tractor is usually built lighter duty than an industrial model as they don't usually has the stress put on the chassis. Most loaders for ag tractors are made for material handling manure, fertilizer, etc. and are not made to dig in the earth. The ag version have many wheel width adjustments, better wider for slopes.
But all that said it is you choice onm either one, I would closely look at each one, start 'em up, drive each and get the feel of each one. Then decide on the best one for your situation.
No matter what added weight to the rear in a must for heavy loader work, even a cross bar thru a barrel of concrete is fairly cheap.
Oh yeah if they are equiped with differential lock may be a great help/safety measure

/ International Harvester Comparisons #32  
Pretty sure if you are mechanically inclined and have a computer they are still easy to work on. Why do you even care about their computer status? You join some FBI computer status task force?

I apologize ma'am. We're not well.
The computer concern mention is that neither tractor is equipped with a computer controlling stuff. A headache that will not be present and no need for a computer for diagnostics, just your knowledge of things mechanical.

/ International Harvester Comparisons #33  
The IH 2424 is the same basic tractor as the AG version the IH 424 and it’s got a 3 point hitch.

I like my IH 424 and parts are pretty much still available. However I do think my TC45 is a MUCH better loader tractor due to the hydrostatic transmission and being four wheel drive.
I have an IH 444, very close to 424. It is not a bad size on my 5 acres for field maintenance. Feels like a "real tractor" and the power steering makes easy maneuvering. The fixed frame IH 2000 loader always seems in the way working on the motor - the frame is always where I want to reach to the side of the motor. I suspect mine was about as tired as the ones you are looking at (and the same price point), which is to say, I had to scour up some missing parts through the internet, and fix a bunch of stuff (hydraulics, carb/governor/fuel system, rewired/new gauges/lighting, radiator) to get it to the point where it starts right up, runs "okay" -- except all this work did is unmask that the engine is ready for overhaul. I found all the parts needed so far by researching the internet for various supplliers. A bit of a chore, but do-able.

I still think the iH 444 / 424 is a nice enough tractor, I'm mostly tired of it not being ready to work. I agree with dieselscout80 that a "modern" tractor would nicer.

/ International Harvester Comparisons #34  
I have an IH 444, very close to 424. It is not a bad size on my 5 acres for field maintenance. Feels like a "real tractor" and the power steering makes easy maneuvering. The fixed frame IH 2000 loader always seems in the way working on the motor - the frame is always where I want to reach to the side of the motor. I suspect mine was about as tired as the ones you are looking at (and the same price point), which is to say, I had to scour up some missing parts through the internet, and fix a bunch of stuff (hydraulics, carb/governor/fuel system, rewired/new gauges/lighting, radiator) to get it to the point where it starts right up, runs "okay" -- except all this work did is unmask that the engine is ready for overhaul. I found all the parts needed so far by researching the internet for various supplliers. A bit of a chore, but do-able.

I still think the iH 444 / 424 is a nice enough tractor, I'm mostly tired of it not being ready to work. I agree with dieselscout80 that a "modern" tractor would nicer.
Your last statement is so true.

It gets old having to fix before work and during work (stoppage) even with post work maintenance.

However, I bought my IH 424 in 2009 and used it as our only tractor until 2022. I even used it in 2023 for one job (spreading fire ant bait).

It doesn’t have a loader so I know knowledge of it as a loader tractor. Other than a 2 wheel drive tractor’s and hills are a bad option.

Last edited:
   / International Harvester Comparisons #35  
I have an old Massey MF 40 construction tractor that I likely would not own except it was dirt cheap. I went completely through the rear end and hydraulics and still only had $2500 in it. For many reasons it has turned out to be the best mower/loader tractor I have ever owned. It is built much heavier than regular tractors and being only 40 hp I still use it to feed round bales. It has been used and abused for 12 years on the farm and just now I am needing to do a little work on it. The old timers are much more reliable if you practice good maintenance. In the recent -30 temps it was the only thing I own that started dependably. The only drawback is no rear hydraulics which could be remedied quite easily if I had no either options.

/ International Harvester Comparisons #36  
Problem I have with older popular US used tractors is that the loader frame blocks almost all access to the engine area. Newer compact tractors including my Branson 6530 have adequate bracing in the midsection such that when you raise the FEL there is absolutely zero interference for you to go about engine maintenance.

/ International Harvester Comparisons #37  
Not always, just reaching the dip stick on my Branson 8050 is a skin gouging experience.
My fairly old Oliver 1550 wasn't bad at all.