International 454 - With Loader

/ International 454 - With Loader #11  
454s were such a good tractor. Tons of them were used in our area in the tobacco farming belt. I don't think I've ever seen one with a loader but I never saw a tractor with a loader until I was half grown anyway.

/ International 454 - With Loader #12  
Hello,
I am looking for a decent tractor with a loader in the $5k range. I know that is a lot to ask for with used tractor price now, but I am willing to wrench on something and put in some elbow grease.
Came across this International 454 with a loader, brush hog, back blade, and 3pt hitch forks for $5000. It starts and runs so I am told.

Other than the normal mechanical checklist to cover, is there anything I should focus on while looking at this tractor?
Specifically to that series of tractor? Thanks for your help!
Those are good tractors. My neighbor bought one in 1968 and truck patches 80 acres with it to this very day. I put an alternator on it, replaced the generator. Put some new back tires on, like to not got the old ones off. One had never been off. It's been a good machine.

/ International 454 - With Loader #13  
Basically, they were excellent tractors so they don't make them anymore.

/ International 454 - With Loader #14  
I’m in same line of thought. Don’t need a new Kubota L for 24k plus taxes.
My new budget is around 5k plus sale of my other tractor.
The only thing I can find is not green or orange but mid 80’s I think Ford and MF such as picture below.
I can fix a lot but not rebuild an engine.
Is this a good idea or just use the cash as down on a new Kioti Ck etc.
60C04A44-4CAA-4A96-9FBB-B8C47A8DA25F.jpeg

This was at auction for around 8k - a little over my budget of 5k + 2.5k when I sell my other stuff.

/ International 454 - With Loader #15  
Well, 5K for one that starts, runs, and has a loader is about as good as you will ever do. And it is a common model. I just don't know that model well. One friend had the next smaller similar vintage IH for many years and it was always fine. However it runs now is probably just exactly how it will for years.... might put it in a high gear with a load and stall it to make sure the clutch isn't slipping.

Put your eagle eye on the engine oil. You are looking for antifreeze in the engine oil. Sometimes water/antifreeze will make the engine oil look brown and cloudy instead of black. An old trick it to fold up a paper towel and put a single drop of warm engine oil on the folded paper towel - blotter paper is even better. Look to see the concentric rings. You will generally see the carbon particles float out round a cleaner center. Sometimes water if it is there will show as a greenish ring (antifreeze).

You might be able to find blotter testing photos on Google, I've not looked. Sometimes I will pull a spark plug....oh, this may be diesel & not a gasser.
Finn, how do you know that is the 3 cylinder diesel? Could be a gasser?

That one looks to have decent matching rubber on the back and automotive tires on the front. I do hope that the power steering unti is working well - check that. Those old ag tractors were borderline unusable without PS.

Is that bucket straight on the front loader arms? Is sure looks like it is sitting crooked... or is that just the photos (both photos). Too bad it is missing the original top link, but at least it has one. Fenders are a nice touch. I always like it when the original owner who ordered it new added a few little extras. Gives it some class.

What are you needing a tractor to do? Just occassional lifting and hauling around the property? That one looks like it will do that. We used an old JD for years for exactly that - and had more than $5K in it in the end.... but not much more. Sounds like you are a mechanic, so just trust your feel - and do check out that bucket for straight. The bushings don't bother me as I imagine you will just be using it for some chores. For that, bushings don't much matter.

If it runs OK and starts from cold then you aren't going to do much better - maybe not as good.

rScotty
Yes it could be a gasser like I sgated in my post. The gassers were sort of declining in volume worldwide during that timeframe and were eventually discontinued. I think the gas engines were built in Doncaster, but I’m not sure.

/ International 454 - With Loader #16  
That's a decent looking 1045. That's the type tractor you should pick up. Go ahead and spend the extra money and get one in good shape like that.

It's hard to answer a financial question like that for you. You know your situation. Personally for me, if I can't pay for it I don't really want it. When I finance something these days, it's because it's beneficial to me to do so, not because I have to.

/ International 454 - With Loader #17  
That's a decent looking 1045. That's the type tractor you should pick up. Go ahead and spend the extra money and get one in good shape like that.

It's hard to answer a financial question like that for you. You know your situation. Personally for me, if I can't pay for it I don't really want it. When I finance something these days, it's because it's beneficial to me to do so, not because I have to.

I agree with all that.

Also, something to think about: when I buy an old tractor for cash to do some project, I go in to it knowing that if the machine doesn't work out then that whole project may not move forward immediatley - but ultimately it probably will.

Now if I finance a new tractor the situation is different. Now the tractor isn't the holdup, but the project becomes dependent on my working to make extra money. The project gets put on hold until I have the time and energy for the original project. Plus the downside of what happens if my paycheck goes down for whatever reason.

Given those two options of cash vs finance, I feel better about the cash for an old tractor myself. At least it leaves me with time to spend on projects.
I can always fix the tractor, and then do the original project - getting two things done because I had more of my own time available.

Sounds like that might work for the OP as well. His plan sounds good to me. And that is the right type of tractor, even if that may or may not be the right one.

rScotty

/ International 454 - With Loader #18  
I’m in same line of thought. Don’t need a new Kubota L for 24k plus taxes.
My new budget is around 5k plus sale of my other tractor.
The only thing I can find is not green or orange but mid 80’s I think Ford and MF such as picture below.
I can fix a lot but not rebuild an engine.
Is this a good idea or just use the cash as down on a new Kioti Ck etc. View attachment 777124
This was at auction for around 8k - a little over my budget of 5k + 2.5k when I sell my other si
I agree with all that.

Also, something to think about: when I buy an old tractor for cash to do some project, I go in to it knowing that if the machine doesn't work out then that whole project may not move forward immediatley - but ultimately it probably will.

Now if I finance a new tractor the situation is different. Now the tractor isn't the holdup, but the project becomes dependent on my working to make extra money. The project gets put on hold until I have the time and energy for the original project. Plus the downside of what happens if my paycheck goes down for whatever reason.

Given those two options of cash vs finance, I feel better about the cash for an old tractor myself. At least it leaves me with time to spend on projects.
I can always fix the tractor, and then do the original project - getting two things done because I had more of my own time available.

Sounds like that might work for the OP as well. His plan sounds good to me. And that is the right type of tractor, even if that may or may not be the right one.

rScotty
Thanks guys, I’ll probably sell off a few things and go cash route. I don’t think my wife would approve of a payment for a new one but hey it’s the New Hear and you never know. 2023 is going to be a good year!

/ International 454 - With Loader
Thanks for the comments! The 454 in the top of the post is a gasser. For my knowledge base, I'd rather stick with gas. At least for my first utility tractor.

Time is always a factor! I CAN work on stuff and fix it, but with two young kids that is hard to do nowadays. But I am confident this can do some work for me after giving it my own tune up. Happy new year!

/ International 454 - With Loader #20  
Thanks for the comments! The 454 in the top of the post is a gasser. For my knowledge base, I'd rather stick with gas. At least for my first utility tractor.

Time is always a factor! I CAN work on stuff and fix it, but with two young kids that is hard to do nowadays. But I am confident this can do some work for me after giving it my own tune up. Happy new year!

There's not a thing in the world wrong with a gasser. In fact in an old engine I say it was an advantage. Like you say, they are a known quantity.

I just redid the tune on our old gasser. It hadn't been responding to the annual carb bowl & main jet clean outs which seems to be required with new gasoline these days. So it was decided to do a complete ignition job starting with cleaning up the on/off switch and right through to new spark plug cables & caps. Threw away the old carbon plug wires and went back to honest copper cores. Kept the old ignition coil. Re-timed it. New battery connectors but reused the old copper cables.
Now we have a fat blue spark and and clean running.
Idles nicely at about 150/200 rpm.

I was so pleased I powerwashed a few decades of grease and mud off of places you rarely see. Under the 3pt and the bottom of the engine/xmission. The power washing made me feel better and didn't make a bit of difference to the tractor.

Got some high dollar silicon sealer and filled in all the weather cracks in one rear tire that had gone flat. The idea was more to keep sand and dirt out so as to not be expanding the cracks any worse than they are. Didn't have any real hope it might be a benefit. Surprisingly, that job is still holding up half a year later. Of course I haven't really stressed it, but still....

Like a lot of old iron, if you run that tractor for a day you've put in some work yourself. Shifting gears requires both hands and some back, too. Thankfully the power steering works. I grew up on tractors without it. Everything is working. Hydraulic pressure at 1100 psi is about where it should be. That old Cat II 3pt hitch would lift a truck.
rScotty