Intermittent Spark

/ Intermittent Spark #1  

Jerry B Good

Tractor
S650g
I have intermittent spark at the points on Satoh Bison. Could the Coil be at falt? And if it is would it be an internal resistant coil or not? Also is there a ballast resistor on this tractor?

/ Intermittent Spark #2  
The coil COULD be at fault but would not commonly cause intermittent spark at the points unless it was an open circuit. I don't know what you understand about points and ignition systems. The ignition switch, when turned on, applies voltage to the primary side of the coil either directly or through a ballast resistor. The points act as a switch to alternately allow the coil to build up a primary voltage then short it to ground. It is this pulsing action which induces a spark in the secondary. If the condenser is of exactly the correct value to match the coil there will be little or no spark. Of course if it's shorted that will prevent spark at the points or at the coil. You may be able to get a manual and / or schematic from Valley Power. That would tell you whether you have a ballast resistor. Tracing the primary wires on your coil should tell you as well.

/ Intermittent Spark #3  
I have intermittent spark at the points on Satoh Bison. Could the Coil be at falt? And if it is would it be an internal resistant coil or not? Also is there a ballast resistor on this tractor?
See figure 10-1 and on wards.

Attachments

• SATOH BISON S670 PARTS CATALOGUE.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 64
   / Intermittent Spark #4  
What model Satoh Bison do you have? I think they were all diesel - they would have no spark.

/ Intermittent Spark #5  
The Bison has a PB1000 gas engine.