Interesting conversation with a Ram technician at dealer service dept.

/ Interesting conversation with a Ram technician at dealer service dept. #41  
You gotta see what Kia did with their 2.0l 4 cylinders that SOME people had issues with.

They are still putting in free engines for cars that had zip-nada maintenance.

I had a 2013 Optima 2.0l that I maintained myself that I drove the B-geez out of. I went over 100mph in that car more than anything else I've ever driven. Best damned car I ever owned!
I put 175,000 on it and a guy that worked at the local Kia dealer gave me my asking price for the car...snap! Just like that.
I asked him why he wanted that car so bad and he told me Kia would put in a new engine for him no problem.
People seem to hate Kia...
I don't.

/ Interesting conversation with a Ram technician at dealer service dept. #42  
I worked for a global leader in manufacturing (back in the day before it actually meant something). We didn't offer the warranties that competitors offered. Why? Because our products were far superior, we didn't need to entice people to buy inferior products using warranties. A point to be made is that one buys something with the intent of using it; when something breaks it can be very inconvenient (stranded? towing? time spent with/at shop?) if not dangerous/life-threatening. Yes, it's great when manufacturers stand behind their products but IMO if the manufacturer focuses on good design and engineering practices and uses good materials -it puts money into the product rather than the marketing- you're more likely to encounter less failures.

I did a lot of research when looking for a new truck. I was appalled to see that some manufacturers continued to have issues that spanned decades- same issues plagued their products. It was almost like the design specs called out for poor designs/materials! Anyone looking honestly, and those having such vehicles, know these issues. In fairness sometimes it's just a tradeoff, but other times I just don't know.

IMHO we would have been in a much better world had Ford partnered with Cummins way back in the day.

The Kia policy is troubling as it encourages abuse. I don't see this as being long-term beneficial for Kia: not unless they can make engines for very cheap and that their service departments can swap engines very quickly. Might be that the know that the shift to EVs will lift this burden from them: with EVs you can control everything in the vehicle, you can keep drivers/operators from doing things that will be harmful to the vehicle.

/ Interesting conversation with a Ram technician at dealer service dept. #43  
Hay Dude, I hate to tell you, but i wouldn't touch an Ecodiesel with your 10-foot stick.

Supposedly they have about a 15% failure rate, so if they fix yours I'd suggest selling it as soon as possible afterwards.

On the other hand, we've had very good luck with our Rams, gassers as well as diesels, but those are real diesels, not that goofy Eco version.

/ Interesting conversation with a Ram technician at dealer service dept. #44  
Did Ram discontinue the Ecodiesel this year? A quick check seems to imply they did and that they're pushing into the EV market for the 1/2 tons: I think this makes sense given that most 1/2 tons tend to be more widely used by suburban folks (vs. 3/4+ ton trucks out in the country): less distances traveled (as in the bulk of the market indicates this).

/ Interesting conversation with a Ram technician at dealer service dept. #45  
Did Ram discontinue the Ecodiesel this year? A quick check seems to imply they did and that they're pushing into the EV market for the 1/2 tons...
They did, and not only as a mercy killing.

Personally I don't quite understand 1/2-tons in the first place, even with good and reliable engines in them. They're nice riding cars, yes, but at the cost of painfully low payload.

Worst, I think, are the unrealistic J2807 tow ratings, making people think they are good tow vehicles.

/ Interesting conversation with a Ram technician at dealer service dept. #46  
Ain't no one gonna comment on the insane $19,000 engine price tag???
Nascar engine???

/ Interesting conversation with a Ram technician at dealer service dept. #47  
A crate engine is about $8000 as I recall. If you can find one.

/ Interesting conversation with a Ram technician at dealer service dept.
Hay Dude, I hate to tell you, but i wouldn't touch an Ecodiesel with your 10-foot stick.

Supposedly they have about a 15% failure rate, so if they fix yours I'd suggest selling it as soon as possible afterwards.

On the other hand, we've had very good luck with our Rams, gassers as well as diesels, but those are real diesels, not that goofy Eco version.
Happy to tell you I don’t have an Ecodiesel.
I have a 6.7L Cummins.

/ Interesting conversation with a Ram technician at dealer service dept.
Ain't no one gonna comment on the insane $19,000 engine price tag???
Nascar engine???
Oh hell, that don’t surprise me.
Ford wanted $16,500 for a reman 6.4L diesel 12 years ago.

/ Interesting conversation with a Ram technician at dealer service dept. #50  
Ah, good for you. Speed read your first post a little too fast apparently.