Integrated ZTR transaxles

/ Integrated ZTR transaxles #1  

MultiMow

Gold Member
Tractor
Toro 325-D 4WD
I've been comparing ZTR transaxles for a build.

So far, I've found two options... the Hydro-Gear 5400 and Parker HTG.

I like the Hydro-Gear for its hi/lo range final drive, but it's only rated for a 2,000lb GVWR.

The Parker is rated for 2,500lb GVWR, but it lacks the two-range final drive. The lack of geared finals is great from a dependability standpoint (less opportunity for fluid contamination)... but this build desperately requires finite control at low speeds.

Does anyone know of any comparable units from other manufacturers?

/ Integrated ZTR transaxles #3  
What are you building with the drives? Assuming it is not a mower as most of us buy those already built!

Last edited:
   / Integrated ZTR transaxles #4  
Is that 2200# vehicle per PAIR of those?

If so, that's about 1100# per one.

Which is even less when you consider at least some of the weight would be on the front, non-driven wheels.

Just something to think about.

Give them a call and ask.

/ Integrated ZTR transaxles
I've already talked to them at the GIE+Expo in Louisville.

Yes, that's 2,200lb total.

It basically amounts to wether I want to build it lighter with more control, less capacity, and increased transit (no load) speed with the Hydro-Gear...

...or run the Parkers for greater dependability and higher capacity, and choose a single speed compromise between low speed control and transit speed.

/ Integrated ZTR transaxles #7  
I've already talked to them at the GIE+Expo in Louisville.

Yes, that's 2,200lb total.

It basically amounts to wether I want to build it lighter with more control, less capacity, and increased transit (no load) speed with the Hydro-Gear...

...or run the Parkers for greater dependability and higher capacity, and choose a single speed compromise between low speed control and transit speed.

As we talked previously.... beware the lack of low speed/high torque if you need any pulling power. In other words... choose your compromise wisely. ;)

/ Integrated ZTR transaxles
Indeed.

That was another reason why I was leaning toward the Hydro-Gear 5400.

/ Integrated ZTR transaxles #10  
Indeed.

That was another reason why I was leaning toward the Hydro-Gear 5400.

The biggest Parker HTG will also require remote oil reservoirs just like the 5400s. There seems to be no way to make a direct comparison via specs as Parker doesn't even publish the same specs as Hydro-Gear. I've never tried the Parkers but the 5400s have a very nice, light touch to their controls. On my Ferris, like most OEMs, they do not mess around with the two speed and so I cannot speak to the lower torque 18mph travel setting.