Insurance requires home water leak detector and drone inspections?

/ Insurance requires home water leak detector and drone inspections? #11  
I have considered a leak detection system to shut off power to the well pump if leak is detected. Been awhile so I kind of forgot what system it was.

/ Insurance requires home water leak detector and drone inspections? #12  
I wonder if the JD backhoe and Dozer will become a problem
Is this yours ??? :)

1700252719469.png

/ Insurance requires home water leak detector and drone inspections? #13  
I'm responsible for a number of residential insurance policies and a new twist is insurers requiring Leak Detection Systems should insurance be offered on home older than 30 years.

Anyone have experience with home water leak systems?

I drop irrigate and wonder if my deep drip will be seen as a leak?

The push is to avoid anything rural and anything older...

So unless you happen to be in a newer upscale subdivision the options for insurance diminish...

My Agent this morning said be aware drones are now used for periodic inspection and resulting in cancelations... vegetation, outdoor storage, exterior condition... etc.

I wonder if the JD backhoe and Dozer will become a problem or my friends outdoor range...

One friend has a magnificent oak at his home... protected by ordinance but also a problem in keeping his policy...
What form of leak detection are you required to use?

Water sensor on the floor?
Flow detection?

/ Insurance requires home water leak detector and drone inspections?
Cancellations and non renewal already a fact...

I think part is a concerted effort to keeps policy holders in line.

If you live in a gated community it's a positive... if your gated community consists of only you... it's a negative... saying things such as impeding Fire Response...

It's a new world and insurance problems are again cancelling escrows with more going to the State Fairplan Insurance of last resort...

I know it's foolish but part of me would be willing to go with a liability only coverage and be self insured for fire.

Last edited:
What form of leak detection are you required to use?

Water sensor on the floor?
Flow detection?
I have not gotten that far but the Flume system mentioned detects flow and is web based...

Carrier is reviewing 8 policies today... she said the good news is I'm not seeing any notice of non renewals.

Even Costco that came in with low premium home owners leaving the California market...

Much of my understanding is based on discussions with my agent...

The part about Escrow issues is very real from my friends in Real Estate...

/ Insurance requires home water leak detector and drone inspections? #16  
I have not gotten that far but the Flume system mentioned detects flow and is web based...

Carrier is reviewing 8 policies today... she said the good news is I'm not seeing any notice of non renewals.

Even Costco that came in with low premium home owners leaving the California market...

Much of my understanding is based on discussions with my agent...

The part about Escrow issues is very real from my friends in Real Estate...
Flume says it tracks your indoor and outdoor water usage, so irrigation may be a non-issue.

/ Insurance requires home water leak detector and drone inspections? #17  
About a year ago my homeowner's insurance rate nearly doubled. I was shocked. We have never had a claim and our house is only about 15 years old. Not only do we keep the place up but we have also been improving the grounds. We have also never been late with premium payments. So I called around and changed insurance companies. Their one requirement was that they would do an inspection of the house. They would call first of course. I had no problem with an inspection. But it's been so long and they have never asked for the inspection. I wonder if they used a drone. It would be cheaper and faster. And I bet if the grounds look great, and the roof looks great, it is a pretty good indication that the interior will also be fine, especially on a newer house. Things keep changing.
Eric

/ Insurance requires home water leak detector and drone inspections? #18  
Drones don't live long around here. Cool thing about drones is even if you just wing them they are coming straight down. Thinking about this a bit more, that's a lot of nerve to launch a drone over someone's home without them knowing it. That could be anyone casing your residence. I say use them for target practice.

Lots more…

/ Insurance requires home water leak detector and drone inspections? #20  
Ny Simply Safe alarm system has a leak detector available as an option, it is for if your washing machine springs a leak or water heater leaks, etc. but it won't stop the leak, only notify you of a leak. So, if you are 2000 miles away on vacation, it will still be a mess when you get home! When I leave on vacation, I will usually turn the water off to the washer. Maybe I should start turning off water to the whole house.