Insurance for a $7,000 tractor - standalone policy

/ Insurance for a $7,000 tractor - standalone policy #1  

chabat124

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 4610, IH 300 Utility, '52 Ferguson TO30
I am trying to help a customer of mine. I am an insurance agent in Texas.

My customer just bought a $7,000 1970s Ford 3000 tractor with a shredder and box blade.

He has his homeowners with me but his deductible is nearly $7K on the home and personal property so it won't do much good to add it there. Also, their homeowners policy is not a farm and ranch.

I could write him an equipment policy (inland marine) like you would for heavy equipment but the minimum premium is high, close to $1,000. If it were is $50,000 tractor I would go this route, no question.

So my question: Is there any companies that someone here would recommend, for just tractor insurance by itself?

Attachments

• Hatcher, D - Ford 3000 (2).jpg
    Hatcher, D - Ford 3000 (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
  • Hatcher, D - Ford 3000 (3).jpg
    Hatcher, D - Ford 3000 (3).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
   / Insurance for a $7,000 tractor - standalone policy #2  

My customer just bought a $7,000 1970s Ford 3000 tractor with a shredder and box blade.

He has his homeowners with me but his deductible is nearly $7K on the home and personal property so it won't do much good to add it there. Also, their homeowners policy is not a farm and ranch.

I could write him an equipment policy (inland marine) like you would for heavy equipment but the minimum premium is high, close to $1,000. If it were is $50,000 tractor I would go this route, no question.

So my question: Is there any companies that someone here would recommend, for just tractor insurance by itself?

Interesting

/ Insurance for a $7,000 tractor - standalone policy #4  
I have mine through State Farm, $30K coverage. Costs $350 a year..... $500 deductible.

/ Insurance for a $7,000 tractor - standalone policy #5  

Are you able to rate with other companies to see what their rates are for an IM? An IM is the best option IMO but $1K does seem steep.

/ Insurance for a $7,000 tractor - standalone policy #6  
Seems to me the simplest solution is either:
  • decrease deductible on current policy down to <$1000
  • Find a new HO policy that covers ALL personal property

/ Insurance for a $7,000 tractor - standalone policy #7  
this sounds like it would be a separate insurance rider for that item. we did that for camera equipment.

I'm in Canada, so probably not as informed as others for this question.

My thought is however that you don't need to be a farm or ranch in order to own a tractor. For a $7000 tractor i wouldn't want the insurance or the deductible to be very high. Liability insurance is probably in the H O policy, so its really about how much do you want to spend insuring a vintage tractor ?

All the best.

/ Insurance for a $7,000 tractor - standalone policy #9  
If he's only insuring against the loss of the tractor, for just 7K . I would just self insure.

Last edited:
   / Insurance for a $7,000 tractor - standalone policy #10  
I’m a homeowner with a tractor, skidsteer, commercial zero turn, and related attachments. Original cost all together of roughly $70k. I have never separately insured them.

In the 23 years of owning equipment, I’ve never had an issue where I would have needed insurance coverage for them. I’ve never worried about not having coverage.

My vote is for the OP is also to self insure. Obviously it’s all based on personal opinion/desires.