Instructions for installing work lights

/ Instructions for installing work lights #1  

nhman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
I need some basic instructions for installing worklights on a b2910. I know I want to mount the lights on the ROPs and I know where the fuse box is, but thats about it. I know the usual two things about lights on a tractor (shxt little and nothing). I looked in my work shop manual, and there's a wiring diagram but nothing else. Does anyone know where I can get some basic instructions to help me with beginner questions like:

1. What size light can I install, the schematic shows 27w. Does that mean I should use 27w lights?
2. Can I install 1 or two lights on the circuit.
3. How do you turn the lights on and off; with the headlight switch or do I need a seperate switch?
4. How does the dealer wire and install the lights if I chose this option?

Any help is much appreciated on where I can go for basic instructions. I read a number of threads on this site, but didn't understand much of the discussion, so I think I need some basics.

nhman

/ Instructions for installing work lights #2  
I believe if you look under the seat, probably slightly to the right of center, you will find a wire with a connector on it that is there for the purpose of adding worklights. It already has a fuse in the fuse block and is only "hot" when the key is turned on. It took me a few minutes to find mine because the end of it was taped to another wire, so you might look for taped wires; two going in and only one coming out. A separate switch is necessary; some have bought lights that have an integral switch; I mounted my own toggle switch. I think your headlights are 27w each, but I think most of us used 55w lights for work lights. I only mounted one to the rear and one forward myself and the three-way toggle switch worked both but only one could be turned on at a time. If I remember right, though, the fuse and wire that you already have are quite adequate for two 55w lights simultaneously. And I have no idea how the dealers wire them.

/ Instructions for installing work lights #3  
I have a B2710 with a 55 watt (trapezoid pattern) flood light. I didn't want to put any holes in the ROPS so I mounted the light and a toggle switch to an outdoor electrical box and attached it to the ROPS with two brackets I formed with a hammer and bench vise. The light base swivels and can be directed to the front or the rear of the machine, providing plenty of work light.

I found the accessory wire in the group of wires that run between the two rear flasher / turn signal lights. The end of the wire had a plug with an insulated cover and is hot when the key is turned on.

If all goes well, there should be a picture attached to this post.

Good luck with your lighting project!

Attachments

• 2-223108-Picture014b.jpg
    2-223108-Picture014b.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 434
   / Instructions for installing work lights #4  
I have a post in the customization heading that shows a solution to the light problem for my bx2200. I used a plastic box from Home Depot to hold the switch and aux outlet. The nice part about this box is it has the brass inserts for the screws for the cover so the plastic doesn't come apart after repeat uses. I took a little from everyone and gave it a twist to fit my needs.

cheers
Tony

/ Instructions for installing work lights #5  
I mounted lights on my B2910. The wires were in the back just to the left of the right rear light, under the deck. I bought a set Halogen, running/fog lights for $20 from Walmart. They had their own switch. I mounted them to the out side of a 4' 2X4. I also didn't want to drill into my ROPS so I just attached the 2X4 with 2 bungie cords. Since then I modified it a little and attached it with plastic cable ties. It has served me well for 2 years now. I'll see if I can get a picture this weekend.

/ Instructions for installing work lights #6  
Nhman,I am going to post 4 picts of the light set up on my B2910. The first isof the tractor

Attachments

• 2-225203-P1010012.JPG
    2-225203-P1010012.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 408
   / Instructions for installing work lights #7  
This one is of the light bar made from a 2X4 and a pair of $20 fog lights from Walmart. It is held on with plastic wire ties.

Attachments

• 2-225207-P1010027.JPG
    2-225207-P1010027.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 349
   / Instructions for installing work lights #8  
This is a close up of one of the lights and the back of the on/off switch which is a button mounted to the bottom of the 2X4.

Attachments

• 2-225209-P1010033.JPG
    2-225209-P1010033.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 319
   / Instructions for installing work lights #9  
Here is a close up of where the electric hookup is on the 2910. This is from the rear right.It may not be the slickest setup but it was quick and easy, The lights only cost $20 and they put out more than enough light. I can also swivel them up and down as needed, great for working on the PTO when a pin shears at night.

Attachments

• 2-225215-P1010015.JPG
    2-225215-P1010015.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 391
   / Instructions for installing work lights
dlabne

thanks for the pics, I like your setup. I found the wires. Did you run two lights off the one set of wires at the right rear? Also, did you run the wires on the outside or inside of the rops?

nhman