Information Please

/ Information Please #1  

celilly

Raleigh County, South-Central West Virginia
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1825E with Loader and Massey Ferguson GC1723EB with Loader & Backhoe
I have a MONROE 3pt single bottom moldboard plow. It is a Type: NSSB16 (serial # 1407). I think it's an older plow possibly from the 1940's, 50's or 60's era because of the way it is made. I want to know who manufactured it, where and when it was made. I would like to get an operating and parts manual to go with this plow, but I have no idea who to contact. I have tried searching online and have found nothing on this plow. I have even tried contacting different companies with "Monroe" in their name, still nothing. I am hoping that someone out there has owned one of these plows at one time or another and knows something about them. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.
Monroe plow 3.jpg
Monroe plow 2.jpg
Monroe plow 1.jpg

/ Information Please #2  
Monroe Auto Equipment seems to be who made it, they look to have made a lot of tractor accessories then got bought out for that portion of the business by Tuffline. Looks like they were best known for their "comfort seat" which added hydraulic suspension to tractor seats as an after market option. As far as I could get on Google.

/ Information Please #3  
As Tufline is now MONROE-Tufline I expect Monroe did sell to Tufline.

Good research.

LINK: Tufline – Well Built, Performance Driven Implements

I would like to get an operating and parts manual to go with this plow.
I think it's an older plow possibly from the 1940's, 50's or 60's era.

Back in that era, before Roundup herbicide, plowing was the primary reason tractors were purchased. In the 1940's, the new tractor usually replaced a pair of horses or mules.

So, no Operator's Manual. Those buying tractors already know how to plow with animals. Tractor plowing is easier.

No parts manual. You bought plow wear parts at the hardware store. Unless the plow is bent, in which case it is junk, you should not need wear parts during the next 100 to 150 years of residential use.

You will want to plow with your compact MF 1825, not the subcompact 1723E. Plowing beautifully requires much practice. Persevere.

VIDEO:

MORE VIDEOS:

Last edited:
   / Information Please
Monroe Auto Equipment seems to be who made it, they look to have made a lot of tractor accessories then got bought out for that portion of the business by Tuffline. Looks like they were best known for their "comfort seat" which added hydraulic suspension to tractor seats as an after market option. As far as I could get on Google.
I contacted Monroe-Tufline and sent them pictures. They said that my plow was not one of their products. They couldn't tell me who made it.

/ Information Please
As Tufline is now MONROE-Tufline I expect Monroe did sell to Tufline.

Good research.

LINK: Tufline – Well Built, Performance Driven Implements

I would like to get an operating and parts manual to go with this plow.
I think it's an older plow possibly from the 1940's, 50's or 60's era.

Back in that era, before Roundup herbicide, plowing was the primary reason tractors were purchased. In the 1940's, the new tractor usually replaced a pair of horses or mules.

So, no Operator's Manual. Those buying tractors already know how to plow with animals. Tractor plowing is easier.

No parts manual. You bought plow wear parts at the hardware store. Unless the plow is bent, in which case it is junk, you should not need wear parts during the next 100 to 150 years of residential use.

You will want to plow with your compact MF 1825, not the subcompact 1723E. Plowing beautifully requires much practice. Persevere.

VIDEO:

MORE VIDEOS:
I have plowed for a lot of years now, I'm 64. I really don't need an operator's manual, it's just something I would like to have. And the same for the parts manual. This Monroe plow is in excellent shape, so as you said, I shouldn't need any parts for it. I also have an old Ford 10-217 double bottom plow and an old International Harvester 120 disc harrow. I have operating and parts manuals for both. I don't need the manuals, it's just kinda neat to have them. It's sometimes a little tricky to plow here in WV, nothing's flat, but my MF 1825 does a great job with all of them. I also have a brush hog for it. My MF 1723EB has a backhoe on it that I just leave on it. It's real handy around the house.

/ Information Please #6  
   / Information Please
I understand what paragraph #2 says. It says that they were called Monroe Manufacturing before they were Monroe-Tufline.
A quick summary of all of it:
Paragraph #1 - 2 brothers, Joseph S. Perkins and J.C. Perkins, started Monroe Manufacturing in 1958.
Paragraph #2 - Company incorporated in 1964 but had to change the name to Monroe-Tufline because there was already a Monroe Mfg.
Paragraph #4 - Joseph Perkins had a son named Tim Perkins who now serves as the president of the company. J.C. Perkins had a son
named Sid Perkins who now serves as the vice-president of the company.
Sid Perkins, vice-president, is the one that answered my email. I figure he should know if they,or their fathers, made that plow. I will probably never know exactly where my plow came from and I'm ok with that. I tried. Thank you for all your help.
Tufline.jpg

See paragraph #2, following.