Buying Advice Info on mahindra 2538

/ Info on mahindra 2538 #71  
Mahindra is right in line with other major manufactures. See the attached report.
https://www.ne-equip.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/2016_Survey_Report_Final.pd_.pdf

I looked closely at the 2538 and 1538. Ultimately I settled on the 1538. The dealer had a good discount on it and I was willing to pay a bit more for the loader control next to the seat. With a cab model I would be hard pressed to go with the 15xx unless I found a dealer who had one and wanted it moved!

I like my 1538 too. So far so good with just a couple of warranty issues that were taken care of at no cost to me. One factory ECU code related issue and the other was a distributor related poor backhoe install issue. Otherwise a it has been fine machine that is approaching 100 hours on the clock.

/ Info on mahindra 2538 #72  
Thank you all for feedback, the review data posted by dickfoster was great info to review and compare with other manufacturers.

/ Info on mahindra 2538 #73  
I am happier than a pig in mud with my 2538 HST! (Sometimes I literally am a "pig in mud" with the machine.) :D Stay in touch with your dealer/service techs if you see anything strange happen, but I've not had any issues. I would suggest asking your dealer to make sure they have the best ECU tune from Mahindra for your machine. Mine ran great initially, and then at 40 hours they updated the programming and it it's even better now. My hours are low at 60, but it's been run hard and nothing has been troublesome yet.

Go search through posts made by me to see some grapple capability shots and a load of other comments. You may decide you need a grapple afterwards! Hope it all goes well.

Lol!!! Pig in mud... I'm itching to get the trees I had dropped mid December cut & stacked in the splitter area & start stump removal & grading the land for my future plans. The grapple will be happening at some point.... might spring for the backhoe thumb 1st ...... Should be getting my 2538 delivered 1st week of February...should I inquire about the latest ECU flash or see how it performs?

/ Info on mahindra 2538 #74  
Ask about the ECU. I doubt it will be an issue now. When I purchased a few months back my dealer said he had upgraded everything on his lot already.

/ Info on mahindra 2538 #75  
Lol!!! Pig in mud... I'm itching to get the trees I had dropped mid December cut & stacked in the splitter area & start stump removal & grading the land for my future plans. The grapple will be happening at some point.... might spring for the backhoe thumb 1st ...... Should be getting my 2538 delivered 1st week of February...should I inquire about the latest ECU flash or see how it performs?

I would get both the thumb and the grapple, but I assure you in no uncertain terms that you will not regret a grapple if you have trees and stumps/roots to move around out in the woods. The picture below is a 60' EA Wicked Grapple and it has only been off the machine twice since I bought the tractor and grapple. Once I put the regular bucket on to move 20 yards of mulch this past spring, and the other time was... was when the tractor was new and I had not installed the grapple yet. :D

I thought I would be chaining and dragging logs around, but that requires getting off the tractor. A grapple is just a huge convenience and is very efficient and effective. (Plus you can run around with the cutter to get two jobs done at once.)

Clearing deadfall 2 resize.jpg

As to the ECU, I would ask the dealer to triple check with Mahindra on the version of the ECU program they are currently using. I believe there was one 2538 owner up north who was having a little bit of a rough idle and warm up after a recent ECU flash. I guarantee Mahindra corporate heard about that and likely tightened up the take points. They do seem to be tweaking the programming a bit on these new mCRD engines and maybe they went a little too far for the northern climates on that particular one.

I honestly don't know if my "newer tune" from late summer was the latest one or not, but it is now running in beast mode down here in Houston which rarely drops below 40 degrees during winter operation. Programming is easy to update, and if your dealer is close enough you could ask them to swing out with their laptop to do an update if there were any performance mods available down the road. My guy is close enough I can swing by with the trailer when heading out to property and the can just plug in the laptop and be off to the races in about 10 mins.

Check out this video of Ted using a smaller tractor to handle some chores around the house. Fast forward to eight minutes if you want to skip the discussion.

Good luck with your decisions!

/ Info on mahindra 2538 #76  
I would get both the thumb and the grapple, but I assure you in no uncertain terms that you will not regret a grapple if you have trees and stumps/roots to move around out in the woods. The picture below is a 60' EA Wicked Grapple and it has only been off the machine twice since I bought the tractor and grapple. Once I put the regular bucket on to move 20 yards of mulch this past spring, and the other time was... was when the tractor was new and I had not installed the grapple yet. :D

I thought I would be chaining and dragging logs around, but that requires getting off the tractor. A grapple is just a huge convenience and is very efficient and effective. (Plus you can run around with the cutter to get two jobs done at once.)

View attachment 495241

As to the ECU, I would ask the dealer to triple check with Mahindra on the version of the ECU program they are currently using. I believe there was one 2538 owner up north who was having a little bit of a rough idle and warm up after a recent ECU flash. I guarantee Mahindra corporate heard about that and likely tightened up the take points. They do seem to be tweaking the programming a bit on these new mCRD engines and maybe they went a little too far for the northern climates on that particular one.

I honestly don't know if my "newer tune" from late summer was the latest one or not, but it is now running in beast mode down here in Houston which rarely drops below 40 degrees during winter operation. Programming is easy to update, and if your dealer is close enough you could ask them to swing out with their laptop to do an update if there were any performance mods available down the road. My guy is close enough I can swing by with the trailer when heading out to property and the can just plug in the laptop and be off to the races in about 10 mins.

Check out this video of Ted using a smaller tractor to handle some chores around the house. Fast forward to eight minutes if you want to skip the discussion.

Good luck with your decisions!
Snowback,
Who is your Mahindra Dealer, I bought my 2538 from Cliff Jones and have been using J5 in Navasota as my preferred dealer due to loacation.
I am not sure there are any reasons for concern with them, I was just wondering who you used.
Thanks
Steve

/ Info on mahindra 2538 #77  
Snowback,
Who is your Mahindra Dealer, I bought my 2538 from Cliff Jones and have been using J5 in Navasota as my preferred dealer due to loacation.
I am not sure there are any reasons for concern with them, I was just wondering who you used.
Thanks
Steve

I picked my 2538 up at J5 in Conroe. Gene, Joel, Charlie and all the other the guys and gals are great! I've not been to J5 in Navasota, but assume they are great as well. In fact, I believe one of them may frequent the board, but I'll let him announce his presence if desired.

Gene and his crew even let me ship my Wicked Grapple and third function valve to their shop for installation. Very good customer service there. I think you'll be pleased.

/ Info on mahindra 2538 #78  
Think I'll be sticking with J5 - wish I had bought the tractor from them!

/ Info on mahindra 2538 #79  
Found this gem today. I have always been impressed with the super smooth steering of my 2538 HST, especially when the grapple is loaded with 1,500 pounds of tree trunks.

For those of you who are looking at both the Mahindar 2538 HST and the Kubota L3901, this may be of interest. Intro for about a minute and then they get into the demo. (The Kubota has many great points too to be sure, but this is just highlighting something with the Mahindra that was important to me - along with the rest of the beefy front end and tires for loader work.)

/ Info on mahindra 2538 #80  
Found this gem today. I have always been impressed with the super smooth steering of my 2538 HST, especially when the grapple is loaded with 1,500 pounds of tree trunks.

For those of you who are looking at both the Mahindar 2538 HST and the Kubota L3901, this may be of interest. Intro for about a minute and then they get into the demo. (The Kubota has many great points too to be sure, but this is just highlighting something with the Mahindra that was important to me - along with the rest of the beefy front end and tires for loader work.)

I thought I saw every comparison video on my fine tractor before I bought it.
I missed this one!
Sure am glad I bought the 2538!
I have not taken this beauty in for any warranty work since I bought it over a year ago (a little nod to God)
Only issue I have had is a stuck 4WD lever - which turns out it needed some grease between the housing and the washer where the arm goes into the block.
Everything else has been good so far.