Individual ramps vs. gate?

/ Individual ramps vs. gate? #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
I have a Kubota L3200 (3,200 lbs with loader, plus yet to be loaded rears & maybe a 500lbs box blade), so probably upwards to 4k to worry about. When I picked it up I borrowed a friends trailer that had 2 really beefy fold down ramps. The ramps also have a foot right at the hinge that hits the ground when down. It obviously carried my tractor just fine, but I'm looking for now I'm trolling Craigslist looking for a deal on a 18ish foot flatbed of my own.

Individual ramps probably will be fine, but I've seen a handful of ones with a single wide ramp covered with a beefy mesh & a few support cross braces. Can I reasonably expect that style of ramp to hold up to my tractor, or are they just designed for lightweight toys & what not.

Something like http://i1.rvusa.com/wm/showimagerv.ashx?id=10716792&t=19 . Similar question for the stow away ramps that hide underneath?

I'm not in a rush, so I can take my time waiting for a deal to come up, but I want be ready to strike when ready. Documentation can sometime be sketchy on the older trailers so I can't always rely on that (other than for axle ratings, which I have a better handle on).

/ Individual ramps vs. gate? #2  
The mesh gates are only good for quads and lawn mowers.

Chris

/ Individual ramps vs. gate? #3  
Ditto on the Mesh gate comment from DP, I am not a fan of the slide in ramps. They look like an accident waiting to happen not to mention, I always seem to pinch something when I handle them. I vote for indepedant ramps with supports. Reason being I dont have any idea what your towing with. Its rather unpleasant to have the rear end of your towing vehicle come off the ground and run away from you if you don't happen to be on level ground! Granted, it might be assuming alot, but it happens. A guy I used to work with totaled a pickup and a gooseneck when that happened to him. Keep your eyes open, craigslist sometimes has little golden gems that pop up. Don't buy a converted mobile home trailer because its the right length. It will never hold up to what your looking for.

/ Individual ramps vs. gate? #4  
If you dont wanna lift/move heavy steel ramps, or have the fold kind (drag and ugly), Discount Ramps has 5,000lb per axle rated aluminum ramps (8500lbs total)... I bought a pair of 72"" for $250 used off of Craigs that look brand new, but are only $400 or so new.. They are a local to me company.

5,000 lb Per Axle Truck Trailer Ramps

/ Individual ramps vs. gate?
Thanks, I suspected as much, but just wanted to make sure. Just missed out on a mid 2000s trailer they were asking $1,500 for. Even with that gate + $500 for real ramps it would have been a hair better than the just over $2k most seem to go for around here.

My Tacoma is rated to pull 6,500lbs, but pulling my tractor home with the rotary cutter & back blade pushed it about as far as I want to go.

/ Individual ramps vs. gate? #6  
Thanks, I suspected as much, but just wanted to make sure. Just missed out on a mid 2000s trailer they were asking $1,500 for. Even with that gate + $500 for real ramps it would have been a hair better than the just over $2k most seem to go for around here.

My Tacoma is rated to pull 6,500lbs, but pulling my tractor home with the rotary cutter & back blade pushed it about as far as I want to go.

You can come close to buying a new trailer for that money. 9 times out of 10 there is no savings with used trailers by the time you fix the wiring issues, new tires, pack the bearings, new brakes, and the list goes on.

Chris

/ Individual ramps vs. gate?
You can come close to buying a new trailer for that money. 9 times out of 10 there is no savings with used trailers by the time you fix the wiring issues, new tires, pack the bearings, new brakes, and the list goes on.

Chris

Ya, that's close to what I've seen. New is closer to the $3k mark locally. I'm not in a rush, so if I can find something in good shape for under $2k without to many problems I should be ahead of the game.

/ Individual ramps vs. gate? #8  
I bought this trailer off of CL a few years ago for $700.
I DID do a lot of work to it and kept the tailgate from my old trailer before I sold it.
Last week I pressure washed it, coated the floor with a mixture of used mineral spirits and used motor oil and repainted it.
If I want to move my 3510 Branson I can put two 2 X 10's on the gate.
I built the Bulkhead on the front for hauling appliances when needed.
I also haul steel up to 24' (square tubing comes in 24' lengths) across the bulkhead and tailgate. When strapped properly it becomes part of the trailer. I have had over 1000lbs up there!
Tailgate also removes for other uses.
I don't see ramps as versatile.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    712.6 KB · Views: 161
   / Individual ramps vs. gate? #9  
The last 4 flatbeds I have owned had slide in ramps and I either destroy them or have to build a set that will handle the weight. My gooseneck had slideins and the MFG said no problem with 15000lbs, HE he, ya right. Nothing left after loading the dozer. Built a set of flip ups and never looked back. Go to Load trails web site and look at the Equipment Dove. I love mine.pc rocks  trl 012.jpgpc rocks  trl 011.jpg CJ

Oh and listen to Diamond, find a good deal and buy a new one. You will rarely find a good deal on a used trailer.

Last edited:
   / Individual ramps vs. gate? #10  
The last 4 flatbeds I have owned had slide in ramps and I either destroy them or have to build a set that will handle the weight. My gooseneck had slideins and the MFG said no problem with 15000lbs, HE he, ya right. Nothing left after loading the dozer. Built a set of flip ups and never looked back. Go to Load trails web site and look at the Equipment Dove. I love mine.View attachment 350726View attachment 350727 CJ

Oh and listen to Diamond, find a good deal and buy a new one. You will rarely find a good deal on a trailer.
Nice ramps.. Me likey! :thumbsup: